Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Texan
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to get a new trailer. I have had a steel CM trailer for the last 15 years but it is battle worn and weary.

I like the strength of the steel but also like the thought of lower exterior maintenance of the aluminum.... But my main worry about the durability of the aluminum skin.

WW or CM is what I am looking for in steel...and need suggestions on a solid trailer mfr. on aluminum

·
Registered
699 Posts
The CM looks good. Are you also stepping up to a larger model?

I have dealt with Stone's Trailers, and they have been helpful. The location near me has closed since though.

I use a 22+ yr old battle worn 12' x 6' 8" x 6' 6" tandem axle, with side door, and it works fine. I like the tandem axle because you can still move it to change a flat. And the 4 wheel brakes stop the rig with confidence. Rock guards are a must, skylights are not.

·
Texan
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am staying with a 16'...works great for trim lengths. Plus I've got all my tools situated for a 16' that has worked great for me. Took awhile rearranging and redesigning. But I have it to the point I can find everyting even in pitch dark.

·
Pro
183 Posts
I've had 2 wells cargo trailers, and a custom built, they are gone now after years of abuse, hail damage, etc
I bought an Aluma cargo trailer 2 years ago- 7x14, all aluminum construction, aluminum frame too, dual 3500 lb axles, brakes, v nose, ramp door, lightest trailer I've owned
And it'll never rust
I also have an Aluma flatbed
I decided buy once, cry once, these will be the last trailers I buy, so I decided to splurge

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm also interested in this conversation. I'm thinking the same thing, aluminum or steel?? I have three other aluminum now, but I'm thinking steel this time, just for the durability.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I have had 2 H&H Trailers, steel and have done very well. Aluminum sides and I have the bonded sides, hate the rivets and have had no problems. The steel underside is coated but I live on gravel and it doesn't hold up that great.

I have the aluminum rock guards and they are dented to chit and have lost their luster. All in all, good trailers, no real bells and whistles, just get the job done and pretty good price. Will they hold up 20 years? Not sure on that, kind of doubt it. No gravel and less salt, maybe, but here in Iowa, I doubt it.

I have looked at the contractor custom trailers and might make a switch in a few years...we will see.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Salt will still eat aluminum, but in a different way.

if your truck doesn't have big mud flaps, thats the biggest reason your rock guards are dented that badly. Most trucks dont, unless you get the add on.

There's no reason you can get a good 10-15 years out of a trailer, but it depends on upkeep and also the axle and suspension design- some transfer a lot of the flexing to the frame.

·
Texan
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at a brand new Cargo Mate yesterday...decent trailer, but the side door was a POS. Felt like an aluminum beer can stretched over cardboard.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I looked at a brand new Cargo Mate yesterday...decent trailer, but the side door was a POS. Felt like an aluminum beer can stretched over cardboard.
Have you checked out Look trailers? Don't know how readily available they are in your area. I've had mine for a year now and love it. Subtle improvements over many of the other companies and their doors are very nice! The side doors are radiused rv doors bolted to a welded frame and are very clean looking. Most companies charge extra for a ramp door vs barn doors cause they have to make the ramp doors heavier duty, but no extra charge with the Looks cause the barn doors are built heavier duty too. Check em out if you have a chance.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I've got an 18' steel WW. With puck locks, a thief is gonna have their hands full breaking into it quickly & quietly. I hate how it rusts though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
pinwheel said:
I've got an 18' steel WW. With puck locks, a thief is gonna have their hands full breaking into it quickly & quietly. I hate how it rusts though.
Where is it rusting? If they would use better paint it would help. I need two new trailers and am undecided on which way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts