Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a dinnig hall on my house, 2 story, with no center supports on first floor. 32X46. I would like to know what size I-beams i would need for the 32 ft span without center posts. Trusses would eat up my head room, this needs to hold up a 40PSF master bedroom and Full bath.

·
Super Moderator
10,557 Posts
I have never seen a steel beam in a residential that will carry that. We have worked with beams up to 20" tall that weighed more than 2000 pounds. You might want to rethink the project.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Holding up a 40psf live load on the 2nd floor, plus say a 10lb dead load, plus the roof over the second floor at say 40psf, yields a total of 90psf. At 46', you'd be picking up 23' per lf with a single beam down the center, or 2,070 lbs per lf on the beam. The biggest challenge is going to be keeping the deflection to a reasonable amount- at 32', L/360 deflection allow the floor to bounce over an inch, so I'd suggest getting down to L/720, which would be closer to 1/2".

The smallest beam that span tables even show for a 32' span is a W14x53, which is going to give you a beam weighing over 3,000lbs. You really need to get a structural engineer to look at this.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I want to build a dinnig hall on my house, 2 story, with no center supports on first floor. 32X46. I would like to know what size I-beams i would need for the 32 ft span without center posts. Trusses would eat up my head room, this needs to hold up a 40PSF master bedroom and Full bath.

As an experienced steel erector, I will give you this added advice: To comply with codes, and inspections, you will need a stamped set of prints, and calculations by an engineer. That said, the way to do the 32 foot span would be using bar joists, probably 24 inches tall, with spacing on 2 feet.

Have you given any thought to what this might cost? :whistling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.