Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that wants a steam shower installed, He uses one at the Gym and loves it I guess.

Has anyone ever installed one? Or built one? Any info would be appreciated this is uncharted waters for me.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have a client that wants a steam shower installed, He uses one at the Gym and loves it I guess.

Has anyone ever installed one? Or built one? Any info would be appreciated this is uncharted waters for me.
Never built one but my sister in law told me about her boss putting a sauna in his house. He's one of these guys that likes to impress people with his money. Had tile imported from some town in Italy where the quality is supposed to be top end. Got it all finished and blistered his arse when he sat down on the hot tiles.

:laughing:

Had to tear it all back out and put cedar.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If your talking about a steam shower, I've done about a dozen in the past 4 or 5 years. There's nothing to it really. Buy yourself a nice steamer unit (I like Roma) and follow installation instructions, install a nice system like Brian suggested, and make sure your put a sealer on your tile after your done. You will need a plumber and an electrician to install the steamer unit. It typically needs to be located within 25 feet of the shower. Make sure you size the unit for the shower you are using it on. That's all I can think of for advice.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Cople more things to add to OG's post.
Slope the ceiling so when the steam condenses on the tile it doesn't rain on the occupant.
Install some type of serious vapor barrier (I do not know enough about Kerdi to say one way or the other.) I have in the past used three coats of redguard over the durock or hardi.
Install at least 6 mil plastic behind the backer and make sure it drains into the liner.
Make sure the steam pipe slopes toward the outlet or inlet to prevent water sitting in the pipe and do not under any circumstances put anything that resemples a trap in the steam line ( dip, low spot, offsetting down to get around something etc) This tends to cause spitting at the outlet.

·
Registered
514 Posts
All very good points and agreed by here. Thanks Naptown as usual.

Edited: And when Naptown talks about sloping the ceiling I don't think he is suggesting anything drastic. I usually only slope it about 1/8" to 1/4" per foot depending on the size and layout of the shower.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
All very good points and agreed by here. Thanks Naptown as usual.

Edited: And when Naptown talks about sloping the ceiling I don't think he is suggesting anything drastic. I usually only slope it about 1/8" to 1/4" per foot depending on the size and layout of the shower.

For steam showers you need to have a slope of at least 1" per foot. I did one once with only 1/4" per ft and the condensation did not "run" off - it just dripped.

Ditto on the Kerdi - Awesome system

I also use Laticrete spectralock epoxy grout - another excellent product

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone got a picture of a setup? Its a 8x5 room dedicated to a sink and steam shower

·
Fisherman
71 Posts
Your going to need to figure out the cubic feet of the steam room, materials used on the walls and size of the vapor proof door. These all have to do with the sizing of the steam unit. I try to stay away from having a full 8' ceiling in the steam room, steam rises and you need a even larger unit to completely fill the room. Remember they will be sitting on a bench that you will be installing. The steam head will need to be away from the seat. You will want a auto flush built into the unit. Some units will flush through the steam head other need a seperate outlet installed in the shower wall. Thats all I got for now.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
WATERPROOF, WATERPROOF, WATERPROOF!

And no, cement board is not waterproof.

Choose materials wisely. Some may not be acceptable for use with steam.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Just in case you didn't notice that. You would be in a world of hurt if you used hardi backer only in a steam shower. I believe Denshield is the only one rated as water proof. For a steam shower I would go Denshield with Kerdi on top.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts

There was a gym here in town I looked at a few years back that had steam showers installed with water proof drywall - at least that is what the owner was told. It was a good thing the original contractor had undersized the steam generater for the room - I can't imagine how much worse it would have been. Smelled like bacteria soup when you walked in - and that was after it hadn't been used in a month.
Needed a total gut, new generater, etc.

The owner decided his maintanence guy could do it cheaper!!

Should stop in to see how that worked out.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts