Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ho has a std flue (6" steel) chimney boiler, and a Radon mitigation system in the house. occasionally the flue has so much downward pressure that the boiler can't burn (correctly), and sets off the co detector.

thoughts are the Radon mitigator is forcing a negative house pressure, drawing air down the chimney in the off times. considering devising relays to power off the mitigation fan when call for heat, delay a minute or so, then fire the boiler. or switch to a power vent. thoughts?

anyone deal with this type of problem before?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YES, you are right, my bad. brain was not working well there. Radon mitigation is correct. Thank you for the clarification.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Shutting off the radon vent to start up the boiler won't help. the chimney being cold still won't draft.

A power vent may be needed. But you will still need to address the lack of combustion air. As the basement shouldn't be so tight that the radon system interferes with the boiler.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Is this what I consider to be a normal radon mitigation system.... 3" PVC pipe below slab, or external to a french drain, tied to a suction fan outside the home...????

Where is the radon mitigation suction and where is the boiler?

Was the radon mitigation just installed, or did you just notice the CO venting problem.

I'll watch closely, as I have a venting issue in another thread called HVAC/CO mystery.

However, that does not involve any radon mitigation fans.... but a booster may be the solution for both issues.

Best

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts