Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up everybody!
so I’m a pretty young guy in construction, and I work with all young people, 22 and under, we build custom homes typically

@coffmanconstruction in Insta

but I tend to see us spending a lot of time “thinking” about how to do things before we actually start lately, and while I do think it is rooted in a mindset that wants to bring more efficiency, I see clearly that it is rarely beneficial in the long run. What tips do you guys with more experience have to help us stay more production oriented inour actions? Thanks so much everyone:)

·
Registered
GC
1,705 Posts
Plan your work, work your plan.
Thinking about the next steps is a requirement, if you don't you end up taking things apart and rebuilding them. Everyone hates going backwards.
Experience will end up mitigating a lot of head scratching, but until you gain that experience you have to go through the process of thinking out most steps.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,026 Posts
Lead framer, framing custom homes
How old are you?

Traditionally, it took several years just to become a journeyman, and then several more years to be a supervisor, and then some time as super before one went out on his own.

There a plenty of people who didn’t follow this traditional path and are quite competent at their trade.

But, it will come with a good deal of head scratching I’m sure.

If I were you, I would pick up some textbooks and study my ass off at nights. 👍

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How old are you?

Traditionally, it took several years just to become a journeyman, and then several more years to be a supervisor, and then some time as super before one went out on his own.

There a plenty of people who didn’t follow this traditional path and are quite competent at their trade.

Currently 20 years old, I’ve led a few projects as a lead, each one getting a little better with each one 😂

first one was a 10 unit multi family (I was supposed to co lead it with 2 other guys, ones wife got kidnapped, and the other started dealing drugs!)

next one was a custom home ranch,

then a large remodel/addition, adding a couple thousand SF to a house

then another large custom,

and now another semi custom home

maybe throw a few remodels and additions in that mix 🤷‍♂️

do you have any recommendations for textbooks? I’m always trying to learn more!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Kinda' small for meeting some scheduling...
Welp ! Everyone must start somewhere !
Congrats on having the fortitude to start.

Read some of your history above...
Are you licensed ?
Getting ready to call it a night here.. back tomorrow with
some direction that may fit your situation.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Currently 20 years old, I’ve led a few projects as a lead, each one getting a little better with each one 😂

first one was a 10 unit multi family (I was supposed to co lead it with 2 other guys, ones wife got kidnapped, and the other started dealing drugs!)
Sounds about right. I bet you guys are bad arse. You know at least on that one day a month when everyone shows up sober lol.

Stick around, it’s hard not to learn something with the current cast of members.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kinda' small for meeting some scheduling...
Welp ! Everyone must start somewhere !
Congrats on having the fortitude to start.

Read some of your history above...
Are you licensed ?
Getting ready to call it a night here.. back tomorrow with
some direction that may fit your situation.
Yes I am an in-house carpenter and part-owner of a GC business, commercial and residential but mostly residential

·
Kowboy
2,936 Posts
...but I tend to see us spending a lot of time “thinking” about how to do things before we actually start lately, and while I do think it is rooted in a mindset that wants to bring more efficiency, I see clearly that it is rarely beneficial in the long run.
You'll spend time thinking or you'll spend time fixing the things you failed to think through. Your call.

If you do screw up, the worst thing you can do is speed up in an attempt to make up for lost time. Don't ask me how I learned this please.

·
Builder
32,685 Posts
How old are you?

That was back when people actually apprenticed young guys. I was 19 when I became a lead, I'm sure I wasn't ready but we got everything built, I kept my crews together for my employers and everyone of them offered me a raise to stay until started contracting at 26. Probably ly wasn't ready for that either but hey lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts