Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can honestly say that through the years of contracting cabinet jobs, the most prosperous ones were when I had my focus in the right place.

I remember one year I set a goal to double my income and cut my work load in half.

I almost met the income goal and I really don't think I worked any harder that year.

What I did do was stayed focused on how I could accomplish that goal.

·
Registered
497 Posts
So Jordy, are you saying that your do better when you take responsibility for your own success... you actual have better results....

than when you complain about how your customers are idiots and are trying to take advantage of you?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
than when you complain about how your customers are idiots and are trying to take advantage of you?
Thank God, I never had a customer that I considered to be an idiot.:thumbup:

What I am saying is that by having a mindset of prosperity, ability, strategies and determination to make more money, this can affect the amount of money we charge for our contracting services.

If we think that we are idiots then we will charge an idiots wages.

IF we consider ourselves as professionals at what we do, then we deserve to get paid as professionals.

·
Registered
497 Posts
What I am saying is that by having a mindset of prosperity, ability, strategies and determination to make more money, this can affect the amount of money we charge for our contracting services.

Jordy,

Sorry for the sarcasm, I totally agree with what you are saying in both posts. I was just shocked to see a post make so much sense.

You have a higher level of awareness about how to be successful. By believing in yourself and the value you create for customers, you reduce the resistance against your pricing.

The opposite view is to look at sales/pricing as being the ugly part of the business and blame the difficulties on the prospect. We see that often in posts complaining how dumb the customers are.

Success starts between our own ears. The smarter you get, the smarter your customers are. Congratulations.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This thread hits the nail right on the head. If you have a defeatist attitude you will be defeated. If you have the attitude for success and do the things required for success, you may be surprised at what you can achieve.

Right now i am dealing with a defeatist partner (brother). I can't get it through his fat head that your business is what you make of it.If you put no effort in to marketing/sales, procedures and efficiency, and an actual business plan, you will get back exactly what you put in to it 0.

He is is into this belief that you just price it cheap to get the job and slap it together like an animal. To me this plan is very short sited and will only lead to bigger problems.
Stay focused on your business, your customers and your quality and the rest will fall into place.

WOW that felt good
Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
This thread hits the nail right on the head. If you have a defeatist attitude you will be defeated. If you have the attitude for success and do the things required for success, you may be surprised at what you can achieve.

Right now i am dealing with a defeatist partner (brother). I can't get it through his fat head that your business is what you make of it.If you put no effort in to marketing/sales, procedures and efficiency, and an actual business plan, you will get back exactly what you put in to it 0.

He is is into this belief that you just price it cheap to get the job and slap it together like an animal. To me this plan is very short sited and will only lead to bigger problems.
Stay focused on your business, your customers and your quality and the rest will fall into place.

WOW that felt good
Tim
You just expressed the way I feel about my partnership to a "T". Bad part is, he is my father! You sure we are not talking about the same guy? :blink:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

WOW that felt good
Tim
This may sound a little extreme but it will leave a lasting impression on your contractors and their customers.

On the high end jobs, either new construction or remodel, I always have a nice flower arrangement delivered to the customers after they move into the home.

That's the kind of stuff that will cause your business name to effortlessly be spread around and will cause your income to increase with less marketing effort.

Not to mention it will make the contractor you are working for shine like a star.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Michfan i feel for ya. My father is also involved, but thats a story for another day. I think there was something in the water back then.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any tips or tricks to staying focused? I get so complacent during the slow times that it is tough to keep motivated. I guess if I worked with a partner like my annoying brother or father at least that would keep it interesting. :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Excellent post with great advice.

Set goals with definite achievement dates. WRITE THEM DOWN and look at them every day. Stay focused and watch those dates arrive earlier than expected. Works every time.:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts