Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this ever happened in other states other than Washington?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
We have had individual companies dump the state but not a mass exodus.

I can't say that I blame them, our state flag is a supoena.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Is this a cancellation by one insurers or a whole bunch of insurers? If it is only one insurer then no big deal. FInd another insurer. If this is a mass exodus, as Teetor put it, then you can bet the GL laws were recently re-written.

This isn't state wide, but more trade specific than anything. A few years ago it became incredibly hard to find roofer's insurance. There was a mas exodus of insurers dropping their roofers and not insuring new ones. Then the rates went sky high with the remainin insurers because they had the market by the balls. Rates are starting to come back in line, however. This was nationwide BTW.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it happened two years ago. The commisioner cancelled all policies for a rewrite but alot of companies fled. Only a couple company's allow tract work over 8 homes but that is pricey. I know sider's and stucco guys are have a hard time getting insurance. Maybe the same for roofers I know the man hour L&I rate hike hurt some roofer's a few years ago. Going from around 4 to 8 dollar a man hour. It might be even more now.

I had no problem buying insurance I can still get the tract g/l but they won't insure me for condo's. I want to stay away from framing if I can but you never know. I have some leads on a commercial remod and two residential remods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts