Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
California adopted the nation’s first mandatory green-building code Tuesday, requiring that new buildings cut water use by 20 percent, divert half of construction waste away from landfills and include low-pollution building materials beginning in 2011.

The code also will require separate indoor and outdoor water meters for non-residential buildings, moisture-sensing irrigation systems for large landscape areas and mandatory energy inspections for buildings over 10,000 square feet.

The new code “will affect every building in the state, every new construction, in 2011,” said Erin Shaw, spokeswoman for the State & Consumer Services Agency.

The new code, the result of a policy directive from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, is meant to help reach the state’s goal of 33 percent renewable energy sources, such as solar power, by 2020, to curb greenhouse gas emissions and to save energy and water.
Schwarzenegger directed the state’s Building Standards Commission in 2007 to come up with a mandatory code; voluntary codes were adopted in 2008. The new set of mandatory standards, adopted by the commission Tuesday, also acquired a name: “Calgreen.”

Local green-building advocates say they support the state’s effort, despite a few concerns.

The new system of codes, for example, includes a “tiered” structure, with non-mandatory provisions that go beyond the required ones.
That could prove to be too complicated and difficult to implement, said Greg Shank, chairman of the Orange County chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council.

“We’re concerned that could be more than most public agencies are set up to review,” Shank said. “We want to make sure it’s a supportable structure.”

But he said the local Green Building Council members “wholeheartedly support trying to keep the code up to date with what has become standard practice.”

·
Banned
538 Posts
how about offering incentives to business's who build green buildings, like, tax credits! that way, contractors will have a reason to get people to go green, and people will have a reason to accept, because they use less energy!! everybody wins!!

oh wait, sorry, we cant do that because that'll mean politicians wont be able to jam their pockets with the money they'll make fining people for not doing things to code, and paying town officials to come bust your a$$ with your tax dollars....

1,183 Posts
Look I'm all for a better environment but right now there's no work and people are tapped out at least where I live and do business.

To tell someone it will cost you twice as much to build during a recession is just plain nuts! Raise taxes and double fee's is not the way to stimulate job or building growth.

I am neither left nor right what I am a guy who's been in business allot of years and if the government keeps doing what they are doing forget any type of building boom.

My state seems to follow whatever Cali does , it never ends every time ya turn around they do nothing to help small business nothing and it pisses me off, so I VOTE.

All this green paint, building materials means nada to a homeowner who is already tapped out they need a good job with a fair price, that’s what we all want yes?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Green Building practices don't necessarily cost more money. Sure, it'll probably cost more on the front end but the savings in money and resources will be realized over the long haul. It's about thinking long term :thumbsup:

·
Banned
538 Posts
Green Building practices don't necessarily cost more money. Sure, it'll probably cost more on the front end but the savings in money and resources will be realized over the long haul. It's about thinking long term :thumbsup:
and its the governments job to tell you how and what you can build? and then fine and tax you if you dont do what they tell you? i thought this was america.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Look I'm all for a better environment but right now there's no work and people are tapped out at least where I live and do business.

To tell someone it will cost you twice as much to build during a recession is just plain nuts! Raise taxes and double fee's is not the way to stimulate job or building growth.

I am neither left nor right what I am a guy who's been in business allot of years and if the government keeps doing what they are doing forget any type of building boom.

My state seems to follow whatever Cali does , it never ends every time ya turn around they do nothing to help small business nothing and it pisses me off, so I VOTE.

All this green paint, building materials means nada to a homeowner who is already tapped out they need a good job with a fair price, that’s what we all want yes?
massachusetts has a lot of problems. i hope the residents of massachusetts pull their heads out of their ass's. it'd be nice to see this state get behind people who have some common sense idea's and not just smoke and mirror's, and the same old bs script whether they be left or right wing. hopefully this country will also realize no one party is going to solve any problem. but, once again any hope i have is shot right down as we have 2 complete incompetent people running for senate, and a 3rd one who isnt even given the light of day because he doesnt swear allegiance to one party. oh well, i'm done ranting.

1,183 Posts
The government already dictates how you can build

Not like it wants to and the way its going it will be even worse, and if you want to paint green my quote will be alot more money.

Only from what we have seen Green building for sure costs more, maybe not where you live but here it does.

We just put a so called green bid together with a GC for a job at a local state school both our bids were double what a non green job would be so they put job on hold to re-think.....by the way global warming here in my state its 14 degrees out and plenty of snow....:thumbsup:

·
"Pro"
628 Posts
A lot of money can actually be saved with green building. I toured a jobsite not long ago where they were using single top plates, California corners (L-shaped) and 24" o.c. spacing on the second floor, properly sized headers (not just 2x12's). The goal was to save materials and still build a safe structure.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Without legislation, I saw many buildings built in India because of the moral obligation to conserve. It was common to see apartments built 10 years ago with dual waste water systems (gray water from sinks and floors/wet rooms and black water from toilets) to lessen the cost of sewerage treatment and provide gray water for other uses. - this is also from a country that uses camel and cow dung molded and well dried for fuel.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Read some of the new requirements...they will cost more.

-Separate water meters for indoor and outdoor use.
-Moisture sensing irrigation systems.
-Diversion of 50 percent of construction waste from landfills.
-Mandatory inspections of energy systems.
-More expensive materials that emit less VOC's.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Read some of the new requirements...they will cost more.

-Separate water meters for indoor and outdoor use.
-Moisture sensing irrigation systems.
-Diversion of 50 percent of construction waste from landfills.
-Mandatory inspections of energy systems.
-More expensive materials that emit less VOC's.
Everything you listed will save money and resources over the long haul. That last one might even help prolong life. What's that saying, to make an omelet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts