Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a successful business want to give me some advice on how I start a siding business and any tips they can share? I would be very grateful. I'm scared to leave my good paying job for the unknown. I'm afraid to fail my family. But I'm sure I can do it.

·
Registered
Remodeler / Builder
286 Posts
If your company doesn't have a written policy against it, maybe start taking smaller jobs for evenings and weekends. That way you can start to build up your own personal project profile and testimonials. The downside is the sacrifice to family time.

·
Kowboy
2,142 Posts
Go for it. You may fall flat on your face, but your family won't starve. You don't want to be 95 on your deathbed lamenting "Why didn't I start that siding business when the economy was so hot?"

·
Pro
51 Posts
Figure your labor, materials, overhead, and profit on every job... never guess or rush to price something

Know your worth

Remember that profit is not a 4- letter word. Don’t apologize for it and never negotiate price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
You need six months personal reserves and six months business reserves before you try. The #1 reason businesses fail is lack of money. Sounds obvious right? But it gets more complicated. You need to account for taxes (self employment tax @13% might surprise you). And liability insurance. And health insurance. Plan on actually being able to keep 1/3 of revenue after all the vultures get a piece of you.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My initial advice would be to ask yourself the following:
Can your market handle another siding business?
How will your business stand out?
Why will people call you?
Who will be your competition?
What equipment do you need to get started?

Be honest with yourself, if you have the answers then great, establish your business.
Do not plan on being cheap, your expenses will be more than you realize, pay yourself realistic wages and make sure the company makes a profit.
Best of luck.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,639 Posts
Anyone with a successful business want to give me some advice on how I start a siding business and any tips they can share? I would be very grateful. I'm scared to leave my good paying job for the unknown. I'm afraid to fail my family. But I'm sure I can do it.
So now that we know you're scared... you should probably evaluate this better. Right?... it's ok to be a little scared but keep the "good paying job" part separate. Now that you're on this forum,

first - sleep on this whole thing a few nights.
second - grow a pair and start up your business
third - sell your first job even if you don't know how to do what you just sold
forth - come back to Contractor Talk, start a thread and we'll tell ya what to do nex :geek:

·
Punching above his weight
10,187 Posts
Starting your own business is definitely weird, man.

I went on with an ok amount of reserves to work with, and I left on great terms with my old company(important!). I had a couple jobs lined up which would theoretically take me to the next ones that I would surely come up with. There were definitely a few days where I "went to work" with absolutely nothing to do though. hah
I used to take walks around my neighborhood coming to terms with the idea of being a small business owner. You know what though? It was important to have those feelings of insanity and take those walks though, because that's really where I learned that one of the most important things you can do is tell every single living breathing person on Earth who you are, what you do, and what neighborhoods you do it in. You'll be amazed how many people don't have a relationship with ANY contractors. I'm basically the go-to advisor for everybody my age. Nobody knows how to hire people. They all go through me.
That can be you!

Bottom line: Leave your current job on good terms. Tell them exactly what you're planning on doing and ask if they would be open to a return in the future if self-employment isn't what you're hoping it'll be.
Now go on an' get it! Post here often. We like helping!

·
Registered
90 Posts
One of the problems I have seen is one person can't do everything. You can't estimate, market, deal with bank, insurance, etc. and swing a hammer. Are you planning on working for GC's? That goes to what someone else said -- make sure you have sufficient cash on hand. Sure, you'd like to be paid every week, but it rarely happens, especially if you are dealing with a commercial GC.

I think a start up company today needs a field guy and an office guy.

·
Punching above his weight
10,187 Posts
Respectfully disagree on that. There's lots of solo shows on here. There's been times I'd have loved office help, but I never actually needed it. Sometimes you just have to stay up a little late hemming and hawing while you watch tv. Sometimes it's annoying, sometimes it's actually kind of fun.

·
Super Moderator
26,875 Posts
One of the problems I have seen is one person can't do everything. You can't estimate, market, deal with bank, insurance, etc. and swing a hammer. Are you planning on working for GC's? That goes to what someone else said -- make sure you have sufficient cash on hand. Sure, you'd like to be paid every week, but it rarely happens, especially if you are dealing with a commercial GC.

I think a start up company today needs a field guy and an office guy.
I dont know there were two of us and I still wore bags all day and did the rest at night. I hear that's a bad idea but it worked well for me.

I have always paid for invlicing/book keeping. I have a lot of knowledge with Excel etc... but I can always make more money doing something else thst requires a builders skill set. Even when I was paying myself 7-800 a week back in the day I paid for book keeping and Data entry

·
Artist and not a curator
12,147 Posts
I dont know there were two of us and I still wore bags all day and did the rest at night. I hear that's a bad idea but it worked well for me.

I have always paid for invlicing/book keeping. I have a lot of knowledge with Excel etc... but I can always make more money doing something else thst requires a builders skill set. Even when I was paying myself 7-800 a week back in the day I paid for book keeping and Data entry
Ugh, data entry.

Was thinking earlier today with a landscaper at a job what is hell? We both agreed it's entering data and not having the knowledge to at least analyze it, just enough that it was numbers and some text.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts