Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
pro
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Framed and sided the addition behind the deck, me and one the guys that decided to want to work the day after turkey framed this today. It's gonna have slate gray azec brand decking with cortec kit fasteners, and the azec brand railings

Attachments

·
pro
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ya we have used em, nowadays all my clients want the hidden fastener setup. Last winter I did a big porch wth the hidfast gun and wasn't too impressed with it. So I just just figure the extra labor/fasteners cost to use the cortecs kit and it makes things easier in the long haul in case we ever gotta replace a piece. Where as the hidfast system is like replacing a piece of hardwood flooring in the middle of the room, kinda a pain the azz

·
pro
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how is the hide fast a pain??? ... install clip in gun ...shoot:blink:
And buy cortec kit to use were gun is not accessible...least that's what we did on that big porch last winter, don't get me wrong the gun was FAST, that one had a Dbl picture frame with two seam boards, the hidfast gun couldn't access a lot of areas. Plus I rent the gun, cause prolly do 4-5 decks a year

·
pro
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will the tigerclaws work on azek? Now that is fast.

I never build with the thought of replacing a board and I rarely have to. If that time comes, I'll deal with it.
The thought of replacing a board came to my mind on last winter's project, and most of the crew aggreed, it would be a pain in the arse...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
And buy cortec kit to use were gun is not accessible...least that's what we did on that big porch last winter, don't get me wrong the gun was FAST, that one had a Dbl picture frame with two seam boards, the hidfast gun couldn't access a lot of areas. Plus I rent the gun, cause prolly do 4-5 decks a year
That is exactly what the cortex is for, those areas you can't do with anything else. Buy 2 boxes of tiger claw clips and they will give you the gun for free.:clap:

·
pro
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is exactly what the cortex is for, those areas you can't do with anything else. Buy 2 boxes of tiger claw clips and they will give you the gun for free.:clap:
Haven't seem the tiger claw system seems pretty slick, I just checked out there website. I'm basically a framer, not a fulltime deck builder. I may check with my local lumber yard about availability and see if the client might go towards that, as it will speed up labor

·
Artist and not a curator
12,933 Posts
Talk to Greg on here, tigerclaw has bar none the best customer service. I haven't ever used them as I'm always using exotics but the dude is Johnny-on-the-spot when it comes to answering questions and making sure members here are getting the best/right experience they should.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,296 Posts
redwood said:
Tom, we learned a trick to sometimes get those out. Take a larger sq. bit and pound it in and then back out with the impact. It works a fair percentage of the time.
Nice tip, Mark!

·
Trade: Decks and Fences
145 Posts
Once we got going with the hid-fast it worked fairly well- first time using it we were on a commercial site and one of the boards was damaged by a framer. Ripped that board in 3, popped it out, used pliers to get the remaining cleats out, re-fastened the neighbouring boards, then cortexed the replacement board.

We did use cortex on the inlay (only because we had to)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Deckhead said:
Talk to Greg on here, tigerclaw has bar none the best customer service. I haven't ever used them as I'm always using exotics but the dude is Johnny-on-the-spot when it comes to answering questions and making sure members here are getting the best/right experience they should.
Amen. Call Greg Hartmann at FastenMaster. One of the best consumer services I've ever encountered. Greg stopped by my job site, gave me a quick demo and run down, shared some tips on all their products, and left me a nice pile of goodies... First class act.

Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts