Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t want to come off as a whiner or complainer. I’m truly happy and have learned the simple things in life are what really matters. I’ve managed to keep a roof over my head and food in my belly. I pay my bills on time and have eliminated quite a bit of debt by skimping and keeping life simple the past 2 years. Everyone’s been through hard times and I’ve come out of a few a much better person. A few experiences have been priceless and taught me to be humble with what I have. :D People are living cold, homeless and hungry within 50 miles of me and I could be one of them. :eek:

Now to the whining. :rolleyes: I’m 44 years old. Single with no children and nothing is tying me down. The reason I moved back to Maryland from Florida was to be closer to my family that has always been distant. I thought I could start a small business here, pull the family back together and everything would be peachy. “I’ve failed miserably.” I’m living in a cramped basement apartment with paint cans and tools in my bedroom. I drive an 87 Dodge Dakota on its last leg and have about $2,000 cash and $9,000 credit to my name. I have about $3,000 debt left after ridding myself of 5 credit cards so I don’t think I’m doing as bad as I could be there.

The problem I have now is yet again starting a new life. I’m full of energy and talent. I’m a painter that takes great pride in my work and I’m a bit of a perfectionist. I enjoy doing what I do and love the relationship I have with my clients. They’re about all I have LOL. My family is pretty screwed up and I can’t keep trying to do something that will probably never be. My relationship with my parents is better when I help them out financially but that’s about it. My brothers and sisters are just too busy to care about family. I’m growing tired of feeling all the love LOL.

Anyway it seems like every time I see a bit of a bright future I get knocked down. Lose everything uninsured to a tornado. Unexpected fricking blood clot. Lymes disease from a tick. Truck needing endless repairs. Another fricking blood clot with a 12 day hospital visit. Now a minor hernia that may never get worse, and doesn’t bother me but its there. I can’t afford insurance so….

I need a change. My business is squat because I live in an area that doesn’t look stable for trying to keep a business going. The clients here are totally different then those I had in Florida. I’m tired of everything folding up and shutting down for 4 months every winter. I do work for 2 decorators and found out recently they only decorate part time. One large neighborhood I did a bunch of repeat and referral work in has been taken over by an uninsured, unlicensed young girl living right in the neighborhood. I’ve lost over half of my client base from the wench. The whole area seems to have a good ole boy atmosphere to it. There’s shady business happening here and the new kid in town is frowned upon. I can feel it. I see it from my clients, suppliers, heck even my insurance agent and a few lawyers I did work for. Everyone has their hand in the till. Even my parents LOL.

I need to move and try this all over again but where? I’m thinking California. Maybe even a different country? I let my license drop in January 2006 but paid my insurance premium for this year. I guess I’ll go to work for a Joe blow painter until the fall of 2006. Pay off the rest of my debt and save for a newer truck. Slowly sell off the crap I don’t want to haul with me to a new life and set off for new adventures. When I get there I’ll get active in community and social activities. I love meeting people. I’m a people person with a pleasant personality so that part isn’t a problem. I’ll ring up credit cards setting up a business and turn the page.

What would you do in my situation? Any advice would sure be appreciated. I’m learning new things about marketing and sales from this site. “Thanks everybody.” I’m not down or depressed. Heck I get a laugh out of life but I am serious. I look at my age and realize this time has to be it. I need to straighten out my own life financially and save for my future. I’m a hard worker and I’m determined to win. I realize now that I need to stop trying to help others when I’m spiraling into a hole myself.

Is this what they call “The middle age crisis”? :Thumbs:

Mark in Maryland

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Moving won't help. More later.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Moving can help, but there are other things to work on first.

I moved up to Alaska, mostly because it seemed the economy was good for selling.
It turns out we are #1 in the nation now, and I happen to be making more than I ever have in my life. But I also am full of energy and very commited to being the best I can be.

There are some real losers that live up here, that choose to be losers, so it takes more than a good econ to make it work.
But if you have the other stuff (and good self esteem is part of it) then move on up. And bring your fishin pole if you think it's big enough :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well Mark I have been in your shoes many times before. I almost went out of buisness 3 or 4 times. Each time I would sit back and look at what I was doing before my down fall. Know I take 1 day a month to make sure I'm on track and not losing focus. A journal is a great way to keep track, write down what you do each day, leave your self reminders of things, set goals (short term and long term). Moving may or may not help. Its not where you live its what you do where you live. I'm only one county over and I know your county is exploding with buisness. Dont wait for the customer to come to you take charge and go after your customers, be aggresive. Read through treads hear and you will find ways in improve your customer contacts, sales, ect. I have only been here at this forum for about 3 or 4 weeks and I have increased sales, gained confidence, learned countless other things and continue to scan threads for more.

But its your call but if you dont take charge of your life you will always have the same problems your dealing with now. It sounds like they followed you from florida. Money is not the cure, sure it helps but there are more important things in life. Find whats important to you and go for it, go balls to the wall until you get it. Good luck with your choices and you will find much help here with the wealth of knowlegde take advantage of it. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
There you go 1/2way! Philly's less than 2 hours up the road. I've driven up after work to see concerts at the Mann Center and back the same night (though it was rough - I have to admit).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have explained what my business is all about. I’m a painter yes but I’ve been taught in the old school ways. Everything is brush and roll unless I absolutely have to spray. I haven’t sprayed jack in almost 5 years. The only new construction I do is add-ons to existing homes. I’m into residential repaints. 90% of my work is interior but I do exterior and enjoy getting outside on occasion.

I’m highly motivated and love to paint. My clients are impressed with the end results and comment on my non-invasive way of operating. I don’t tear up a clients home needlessly and at the end of a day you hardly know that I’ve been there working.

I take great pride in my tools and use the highest quality application equipment available. I’m a perfectionist about my tools and it shows in the end. I don’t tape off diddly. My lines are all cut in by hand and my finishes are smooth and as perfect as can be if I can help it.

I do decorative and faux finishes. I’m up to date on some of the new applications and products but the old school way is tried and true. It shows. Yes there is a lot of new work going on in my area but that’s not my bag. The builders want it cheap and fast. I did that for 15 years or more and hated it.

Actually very little of Florida followed me to Maryland. The alcohol followed me for a few months but even that was left to the dust. I’ve been sober since 2001 and have no urge to put myself through that insanity again. I became a bit of an introvert after I got here but that was part of my recovery. Now that I see my urge to build a relationship with family is not going to happen I’m just spinning my wheels here.

I moved away from home at an early age because of abuse I won’t get into. I moved to Florida and lived my 20’s and 30’s pretty hard but never got in trouble with the law. I just became distant from my family that was never really a family to begin with. I’m not the only one. My oldest brother hasn’t talked to my parents in almost 10 years. What was I thinking?

None of my clients know this and the only reason I’m saying it here is because it’s a message board. I’m not looking for sympathy or sorrow. I’m truly happy that I’m not as screwed up as the rest of my family and I get the feeling they despise my trying to wake a dead horse. It’s a little sad but they can never say I didn’t try. Maybe time will change them.

I want to take charge Magnum but take charge of what? I want to stay in the high quality end of work and keep the skills I’ve been trained very well to do but the demand just doesn’t seem to be there. Not in Frederick County. I’ll figure it out.
:Thumbs:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hay Chris,

I appreciate your offer. You’re very kind. :Thumbs: I’m not going to jump to fast into anything. I’m really looking into going west and stirring up some new ideas. I have a buddy out there that’s doing work for a few big names and he’s offered to hire me. He knows my work but he also knows competition LOL.

I kind of trained him when we both lived in Florida and were doing large faux jobs in Winter Park. I think he figured out running around a job like the UPS man was causing more trouble then what it was worth. Then he got greedy and the walls came tumbling down. He now has two children and figured out family is precious. He’s living comfortable and says Los Angeles is all the rage. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Code:
 want to take charge Magnum but take charge of what?
That's just it, you said it, you are the only one who knows. You have to figure out what is important to you, what really matters. It sounds like it might be family but you tried, now consentrate on you, wheather its buisness here or there, location what ever. Dude you have some sole surchen to do. The world is what you make of it. I'm working on 40 and have 3 kids and a wife, thats what I made of my world. Had double heirnia surg. in 6/04 and last week tore both sides out again. Can't wait to go under the knife again. :cry: its a set back but I'll get on that dam horse and ride till she give up, and then I'll find another and keep riden till ther's no ride left in me. Dam the captain morgan almost makes me sound poetic. More power to ya for being sober! :Thumbs: :Thumbs:

thanks for the offer but can't stand to paint. Do home improvements but sub all the paint out. Can't roll and pour at the same time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
magnum said:
That's just it, you said it, you are the only one who knows. You have to figure out what is important to you, what really matters.
You sir are 100% correct. I'm not jumping into anything this year. I don't want to move without having a few things planned out. It will all come full circle. I've got a dream :Thumbs: DAMN tore 2 hernia's? OUCH! :(

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
1/2, I started all over when I was a few years younger than you.
I had the world by the short ones when my wife was diagnosed with stomach cancer. All the money that we had failed to save her and that was with excellent insurance, she was a RN, BSN and the director of nursing at the local hospital. You could say that we had an inside track, still no good.
I stared my rebuild with everything mortgaged to the hilt or sold, an 11 yr. old daughter and 9 yr. old son.
I just put my shoulder to the wheel and persevered.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Teetor I feel like I might know you. I did a few jobs for Arthur Ruttenberg Homes. I did a few finishes in model homes over in Bay Hill for him. I started out painting with Dennis Servis. Later his nephew Steven took over the business and he made Servis Painting into what it is today. I did work for Bill Pigozzi with All Florida Homes and worked in a bunch of homes in Windermere, IslesWorth and Aliqqua which was a new development back then. I hated Florida because it was flat, hot and the traffic on I-4 was terrible. A tornado took everything I owned when I lived in St. Cloud in the late 90’s. The hurricanes made me nervous after that. Then the medical problems started. Florida had become a cursed state for me LOL.

Sorry to hear about your wife and I’m glad you came out on the other end where you are today. We all have hard knocks and I won’t complain anymore. I just needed to vent I guess. I’m happier then most people I know so I must be doing something right. It will all work out. Magnum has talked me into buying a horse LOL. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont mean to jump in here and interupt...But i kinda like this thread, ive been feeling down in the dumps thinking i was the only one with problems...
Teetor: sorry to hear that about your wife, that had to of been awful...BTW i dont think ive ever come out and introduced myself to anybody really..But i too am a int/ext painter..roughly 15yrs..I am currently working for 2 different guys..They are great too! I am in the process of starting my own bussiness..Well i should say advertising more...My bussiness name us Walls&All Painting....Looking for a good logo..any good ideas?
Thanks
Sherry

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
If I was in your shoes, no ties, no money, no prospects, no nothing. I would at least have no ties, no money, no prospects, no nothing in a beautiful place where not having any money, no prospects, no nothing wouldn't be that big of a deal. I would head to the Caribbean and start over down there. Me, I would probably start over working as a dive master with the dreams of being a charter captain eventually. But that's just me. If I had to be miserable I would at least be miserable in a warm, beautiful place with beautiful women on vacation all around me.

Another scenario would be to buy a junker blue water sail boat and spend every free cent fixing it up and provisioning it, then just leave and never look back, go where the weather takes me.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Welcome aboard Sherri!
Where are all of the women coming from? Not that it's a bad thing.
1/2, Steve is in the Melbourne office now, I worked with him for a while in the Stuart office.
Dude! Why a horse? Way too much upkeep in your position and if you're planning on moving....To LA, way too much expense. Try a dog, they love you no matter what you do. If a cat finds a better deal, they just leave. Not always the worst thing that could happen. Horses are big money all of the way around. Not recommended.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Ya Sherry,

I can’t help you out with the advertising. I’ve yet to start doing it other then business cards, but will be advertising in the near future. My business has been based on word of mouth and the quality I provided. But times are a changing gal. Do you like horses? LOL (Sorry Magnum) I’m in a silly mood tonight. I got a few things off my chest and feel better so it worked.

Sherry will you marry me? I have an apartment you would not believe. It’s to die for and is the talk of the town. You don’t need to be living up there in all that cold weather. We could hug and cuddle and laugh our worries away. I'm a great cook and I'm addicted to SweetTarts. Whadda you say?

Did I mention I’m piss poor? ROTFLMAO

Mike things are not that bad for me. Although I like the sound of the Caribbean. I love my work so that’s a major plus in life. I just need to make a few decisions and do it for me this time. I need to look towards the future and come up with a realistic achievable plan. I know I can do it and it will happen. I’m excited and ready to go but financially I’m better off staying here another year.

Besides who’s going to feed the horse Magnum is giving to me. Sherry said “I’m not feeding a damn horse. I’ll move back to Ontario if you think I’m putting up with that bullsh!t”

Teetor small world buddy

I’m outa here. Nighty night folks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you like horses?
Haha No i dont, but i'll take the cowboy.. ;)

Sherry will you marry me? I have an apartment you would not believe. It’s to die for and is the talk of the town.
Yea Ok But i have luggage...2 kids :rolleyes: Do you think we'll last long in an apartment...HAHA

Oh and we can be pisspoor together? All the better
Sherry

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Sherry Sherry don't say no.
To the bedroom we will go.
We'll rub the paint right off the wall.
Then call to fix it Walls&All.

:cheesygri
Bob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts