Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll

I'm just starting out with blasting, adding a new area to my business. I want to finish up being able to do mobile blasting and static but budget means I have to start small and build up.

I'm in the UK and was wondering what would be the best set up to go for to start with.

I'm working on needing a blasting cabinet, compressor, gun and blasting media. Am I right or have I forgotten something?

Thanks

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
What kind of things do you hope to blast? A cabinet is for very small items. You might get a wheel in a big enough one but they tend to be kind of slow. You can't get a Harbor freight hobby type and expect to blast for customers. You will need a very expensive high cfm large cabinet. If you go new you could be looking at maybe $5000. I think? If you have a room or a place out side you can blast you might as well go right for a used mobile set up for a little more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looking to start small, not real sure about how many people might want me to do work for them. I was thinking of starting with things like brake calipers and valve covers. Maybe bumper irons and battery trays etc. A bit too ambitious to think of whole cars or chassis right now.
I can get a blasting cabinet big enough to take a wheel and the equipment powerful enough to get it done in a reasonable time.
Trying to work out how to know what to charge for something like a brake caliper or wheel as well

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Rebal, Some times it takes playing with your new equipment trying things to see what the time invested will be before charging. I had blasted at a ship yard years before moving into business for my self, I went to a junk yard got things that they didn't want and went to town to see what I could do. Keep track of time materials used and things like diesel etc.. The first year out, was a learning curve and still after years I still get things I'm not sure of, But If you play with things in the start you'll be able to adjust time and money to give a good estimate. Over time you can play with price If someone says holly crap how much Or that's a great price you'll know its to much next time or need to charge more. In the end your out to make money, and stick to your guns when you give a price

1 - 4 of 4 Posts