Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have worked for almost a year with a roofing company. I'm tired of taking orders from a boss who doesn't listen and making a bunch of money for someone else. I'm ready to go on my own and looking for advice. I know more about roofing than most of you guys, but I might listen to good advice.
I know about my bosses future jobs so I'm going to offer them a discount by hiring me instead. Why wouldn't they? I just tell them I'm the best of the best.

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
Considering the company here, saying you know more than most is bold.....

How may years you been roofing? What kinds of roofing do you perform?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Don't know if they make hard hats big enough for you.

I don't know everything with a touch of cocky will go further than I know it all and no one can touch me addittude.

Good luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have worked for almost a year with a roofing company. I'm tired of taking orders from a boss who doesn't listen and making a bunch of money for someone else. I'm ready to go on my own and looking for advice. I know more about roofing than most of you guys, but I might listen to good advice.
I know about my bosses future jobs so I'm going to offer them a discount by hiring me instead. Why wouldn't they? I just tell them I'm the best of the best.
"Might listen"? Nothing we can tell you then, as you seem to know it all already:blink:

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
You seem to have your head on straight.

go for it.:thumbsup:

I only took me 17 years to know what I'm doing,
but that's just stupid me, :sad:

great idea to go steal work for the dumb boss who trained you.

you'll be fine, your smarter than most of us right ??? :whistling

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
we need more info:

picture of you for this sites contractor of the year.

your state of operation

your certifications

business certificate, fid-04 number, workers comp & liability cert,
$500 k bond,

then we're allowed to give the best of the best some advise.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I particularly like the part of getting your customers from your old boss---

Have you got your license? ---sorry, I'm sure you do,but I had to ask---

Enough kidding---You're to green to be a business man---you already shocked a house full of pros--you will flop almost instantly.

Have you ever even applied for a permit?
Sold a job and collected the payment?
Hired and covered an employee?
Paid a workmans comp bill?
Chatted with an insurance company?
Had enough cash in the bank to bankroll a job?

What do you offer that would make you a better choice than your boss?

You are dreaming---pull up your pants and get back to work--you are not ready to run the show.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I love the mindset some people have - thinking that the boss is always making " tons of money"

It's as though people think because they're charging a client five or ten thousand for a new roof that the boss must be making mega bucks... :no:

Never mind overhead or that purchasing materials for a job actually cost money.

And another thing- all the really good contractors go out on their own after about six months. I'm sorry to say you missed the boat champ. No way you could be your own boss after being an employee for such. A. Long. Time. :whistling

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
:laughing:
ie: Employee that has no clue of what it takes to run a business. :rolleyes:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
If you have an aversion towards taking instruction from your boss, you are going to have a hard time satisfying your customers and you will have an even harder time gaining the respect of your crew.

·
Registered
402 Posts
They might.....but if your boss is half the man I am, you will be beaten half to death.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Dunno why you are posting this here but, whatever the reason, you are a moron.

(c'mon mods, if there ever was justification for that statement on here, this is it and you know it.:whistling :whistling)

·
Registered
534 Posts
The grass is always greener on the other side. You want advice. Make sure you have 20 -30 k in the bank to pay your employees when you have to wait to get paid for weeks or months. Make sure you have liability insurance in case something was to happen and you get sued. Make sure you have compensation insurance on your workers. Last but not least. Don't burn bridges, you may have to cross them again some day.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
"almost a whole year"? Wow! with that much experience I would go out on my own too. I like the part about taking his customers by offering a discount, nice way to make a name for yourself.
Keep working for someone else until you are mature enough to take on the responsibility of being your own boss.
good luck!

·
Master of none.
85 Posts
Attention, The following post might be construed as feeding the trolls. However, Im in a bad mood tonight and need to rant so what better place and person?

·
Master of none.
85 Posts

Allow me to break this down...

1) I have worked for almost a year with a roofing company.

This makes you a pro? No It makes you skilled labor.

2) I'm tired of taking orders from a boss who doesn't listen and making a bunch of money for someone else.

This is called WORK and LEARNING... We have ALL been there at some point...

3) I'm ready to go on my own and looking for advice.

Please see #4 as to why you probably wont get any advice at this point

4) I know more about roofing than most of you guys, but I might listen to good advice.

No you dont. Why? Because if you know so much, you wouldnt need to ask a damn thing. All hail king know it all... And you MIGHT listen? No, you will not listen, however you can listen to the jokes that are already starting regarding trolls... Oh by the way, dont feed them or they keep coming back

5) I know about my bosses future jobs so I'm going to offer them a discount by hiring me instead.

Ohhhh, youre that guy eh? VERY professional... Professional HACK... Not good enough to get your OWN work so you steal it from another... Good luck bud, because your HUGE discount will cost YOU in the future. Seen many try that route, only to be run out of business for one reason or another.

6) Why wouldn't they? I just tell them I'm the best of the best.

Because by offering a HUGE discount like that you seem like a scam and a hack... People think twice. AND your not that good being in the biz for a year and your attitude SCREAMS young know it all who wouldnt know the difference between roll out mineral base versus a roll out SBS Mod Bit or an Arc vs a 3 tab... how fast can you lay say 5 square of shingle? and by lay, I mean lay it PROPERLY. Difference between 15# and 30#? Etc etc...

That is my bit*h fest for the day. Hope yall enjoyed it. :censored:

·
Registered
242 Posts
The trolls on this site are simply amazing.

It is sad that most of you big guys on here, that is the voice of your workers. The very best skilled guys you send to your customers feel just like the JO troll OP. Its all good though, you can make up the difference on volume.:no:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts