Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been throwing around the idea of buying a trailer mounted rig for a while now. I just got laid-off again from my Carpenter job, and it's just not even worth it to bid on Framing jobs around here anymore.

I'm thinking good money could be made in my area in Concrete Flat Work and Tile Roofs alone. So obviously, hot water and a surface cleaner is an absolute must.

I found a few set-ups on Craigslist, unfortunately i might only have about $3,500 in invest right now.

As money is tight, i can't buy a legitimate tow vehicle either. My tow rig for now will be my 1995 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L straight 6 and an automatic.

With that said, this is kinda what i'm thinking, and out of my price range...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/1967482263.html

And what might be in my budget, but maybe too heavy for my Jeep?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/bfs/1994921431.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/1972192337.html

Another option might just be to build my trailer?

I would really like some opinions on this, and a few links on getting familiarized with the Closed Loop/Capture System would be awesome!
:notworthy

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
We all wish that we could just buy some tools then have business come calling. Unfortunately, life just doesn't work that way. Getting the tools is the easy part, getting a regular stream of business is tough. The once or twice a week jobs just doesn't pay the bills even if they do provide a really good hourly rate. Unless you know how to stack up those jobs for days, weeks, then months on end, it becomes a hobby with occasional money, not a living.

·
Banned
485 Posts
Okay, I'll be the optomist. Go for it. Just do your legwork first. Of course there are no guarantees. But I bet you know quite a few people in the construction business already. Also, for some fill in work, how about car lots?

Man, if I had a nickel for all the people that said I couldn't do it, I'd have alot of nickels!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics of our "new" rig

Just got it last night!

We still need to buy insurance and a few other things still, otherwise we're operational. And we're already "in" with most of our window cleaning accounts!

Let the fun begin...
:clap:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We all wish that we could just buy some tools then have business come calling. Unfortunately, life just doesn't work that way. Getting the tools is the easy part, getting a regular stream of business is tough. The once or twice a week jobs just doesn't pay the bills even if they do provide a really good hourly rate. Unless you know how to stack up those jobs for days, weeks, then months on end, it becomes a hobby with occasional money, not a living.
Hey, thanks professor!

I actually have 20+ years of accumulated carpentry tools from my previous "hobby" if you're interested...
:blink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not to hi-jack you post but im in about the same position, carpentry and painting are slow, im wanting to expand on the pressurewashing but more in the commercial area. Is there a average rate commercial establishments are used to seeing, i know the time old saying is labor +material+ operating cost etc etc etc but is there a rate- example like mechanic shops have a average rate of 60-90+ "shop time"an hour for anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The reason why people don't share pricing info is because from business to business, no one has the same overhead, experience, profit margin, etc. You want to know what to charge? Write it down and figure it out.

·
Registered
467 Posts
With an open trailer you must not get freezing tempertures?

I would want to know why the decal has been burnt. Knowing the quality of Lande, that seems odd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The reason why people don't share pricing info is because from business to business, no one has the same overhead, experience, profit margin, etc. You want to know what to charge? Write it down and figure it out.
i get that, i wasn't trying to be rude or arrogant, i apologize. just new to this market, i will figure it out

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with Thom

:eek:
I have been in the pressure washing business since 1978.
I started here in Charlotte County Florida in 1989.
At that time there were 3 of us in the local yellow pages.
Now, there are 3 yellow pages books, with 3 or more pages of guys advertising to be Pressure Washers!
Pressure Washing businesses come and go a LOT.
Trouble is, new guys start out cheap to get some work and before they go out of business, they influence pricing in one neighborhood after another locally.
Next thing you know, you go look at a 3000 sq ft tile roof job and price it at $450 - $500.00 [depending on many things] and the homeowner says "There's a guy who did my sister's house down the street for $200.00 last year"
I say, "why don't you have him do yours?"
They say "He's out of business"
I say "That's because he was way under priced and inexperienced"
STILL- that thought of "It should be somewhere around $200" persists.
I got more $ in the year 2000 for roof cleaning and pressure washing, than I could ever get today! Every male school teacher on vacation, off duty fireman and guy that just got laid off, runs to Home Depot, buys a pressure washer for $999.00 and thinks he's in business!
So, before you invest $, I would find out what local guys are getting for work and see how much competition there is online and in the yellow pages in your area.
That's some advice at least?
Chuck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not to hi-jack you post but im in about the same position, carpentry and painting are slow, im wanting to expand on the pressurewashing but more in the commercial area. Is there a average rate commercial establishments are used to seeing, i know the time old saying is labor +material+ operating cost etc etc etc but is there a rate- example like mechanic shops have a average rate of 60-90+ "shop time"an hour for anything.

Hopefully, you're not trying to set-up shop around the Houston Area!!!

Well, to answer your question...

For concrete cleaning, i try to shoot for about $125 per hour. Approximately 1/3 of that number goes right back into the machine for fuel and maintenance.

That's probably a good average for any kind of washing that you might want to do.

There's alot of really great threads for hours of reading over at PressureWashingInstitue.com

Hope this helps!
;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With an open trailer you must not get freezing tempertures?

I would want to know why the decal has been burnt. Knowing the quality of Lande, that seems odd.
No freezing temperatures around here, Man!

It seems the stickers got burned off before i bought it, because of bad insulation...

·
Registered
44 Posts
$125.00 an hour is a reasonable rate in all aspects of pressure washing.

Hopefully, you're not trying to set-up shop around the Houston Area!!!

Well, to answer your question...

For concrete cleaning, i try to shoot for about $125 per hour. Approximately 1/3 of that number goes right back into the machine for fuel and maintenance.

That's probably a good average for any kind of washing that you might want to do.

There's alot of really great threads for hours of reading over at PressureWashingInstitue.com

Hope this helps!
;)
$125.00 an hour is a reasonable rate in all aspects of pressure washing, except roofs, they run more like $175.00 an hour.
Of course, every state or city can vary greatly, along with the amount of expertise you have.
Personally, I am speaking from 21 years of being in this business.
Chuck

·
Chris
260 Posts
I think it is very difficult for someone else to tell you what a "good" average rate per hour.

Does this $??? per hour include travel time or on the job time?

What may make one company a nice wage could bankrupt another.

I can wash a typical 2000sqft and smaller house in under an hour... should I charge less than the guy that it takes 4 hours and does not do as good of a job?

I also would discourage you from putting specific prices on the internet. A homeowner could come on here and see that you are charging $??? per hour! Then take it out of context by not taking in to account all the other expenses of running a business.

I think that specific prices on an open forum is a bad idea.(and I think is bordering on not allowed here):thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts