Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a mobile media blasting business, and would like some advice. I'm currently in the process of purchasing a MMJL sandstorm Mobile trailer setup. The pot is a multi media largest pot they sell. I have read a lot of conflicting information about soda blasting cars. I plan on practicing a lot on junk cars what ever I can get my hands on. I have a job lined up already to strip a red brick house, but I have to say I'm very concerned about getting more jobs. I have a loan payment due every month and plan to market the best I can. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
558 Posts
soda blasting cars is fine but i make sure i follow the car to the panel guy to make sure the prep work has been done.
I only soda the flat panels and blast the rest with fine crushed glass.
I use a no5 nozzle with my 100cfm compressor when shooting fine glass and this is ideal for thin auto steel ive done about 12 cars now and never stuffed a panel glass is exellent for inside the car and the boot space for underneath cars with thick sound deadner i use medium grit glass shot through a no4 nozzle after i strip the flat panels panels with soda i spot blast the rust with fine crushed glass you just have to be care full on the flat steel when using the glass dont stand to close and work one layer at a time be carefull on cars that have been resprayed using grey primer filler as it can be thick just work it slow

Allso check out the sodablast web site i have seen quite a few different blasters working around the place now and by far there multi media pots are the best i can nock a car out with origional paint in 4 hours just using soda (not underneath the car though) by using glass and soda and not rushing things im down to 2 and a half hours.

The soda blast gear is a complete system you get after cooler a seperator tank and moisture drains and all this works a treat ive even shot soda in the rain and on a foggy morning when you could hardly see your hand infront of your face and my soda stayed dry.

I was in compitition with another operator and he had bigger compressor pots ect but now i get all the work do a couple of good auto jobs and the work will come to you via word of mouth i have yet to advertise and i get 1 to 2 cars per week on average and now i have customers that i have blasted for that will reference my work i can charge more then the other guy and still get the job.

good luck

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm working with Benny at soda blasting systems I'm going out there in AUG for one day of training. I also have a landa hot water pressure washer which Benny said would be great for washing soda off cars I plan to offer a service to use that if one wants I can either wash it right after or later date. He said hot water works the best I have read a lot of people saying to use this and that on it but he says soda is the best for cars because it won't warp the metal and just hot water and soap works well. I don't want to be limited to soda that's why I have the multi media pot he sells. The compressor is a 210CFM I think is what he told me. So much conflicting post on forums about soda blasting cars. I have read where paint peeling off and others saying they have done 100's of cars and none have peeled. A couple of custom paint shops I saw even have soda blasting as a service. The first problem will to find a place to blast cars if I can't do it at the customers location.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

Kell490,
I have a soda blaster I only use it in fiberglass. I like soda but I think that for the auto part of the game crushed glass has really replaced it. All vettes we get in are first glass blasted to get off the excess filler and paint then soda blasted down to the gell coat. If there is one left. I come from a tractor and equipment painting background. Dont wash cars it makes the prime guys life ****. Every seem holds moisture. Here is the exact system a 57 chev will run through at our place. TAPE UP OR REMOVE SERIAL TAG. Discuss with customer what is worth blasting if floors are shot blast only what can be saved and outline with blast nozzle the areas that will need welds. Plastic blast roof, trunk lid, hood, quarters and doors. Crush glass off rust spots in the before named parts. Sandblast floors fire wall and inside the trunk with 40/80 abrasive. Spend at least 45 minutes blowing out the car. The work is quite easy to do I recomend at least some general knowledge of auto body work. The biggest part of running this type of company is finding the clients. You have to get cards out to area auto bodies and advertise in local car mags. I run ads in the Line Chaser a Minnesota based car mag. I have cars that come from all over the U.S. just to say the cars was stripped at the Anderson's, you need to build a rep. as the best and then you get people that will spend huge amounts of money. I have had ot take out special insurance policies just to have some cars in our storage area.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Allso be a bit carefull about getting the larger pots i find it only takes a few minutes to refill and you get more flexability to change medias as you need them rather then having to shoot for 2 hours just on one media my 25kg pot when loaded with soda lasts me 45 minutes

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the option for one large pot that does it all or one smaller soda and a smaller multimeda one. From what I understand is that when you soda blast it takes longer to cut paint so you use more am I correct? Panderson I hear a lot of conflicting info about soda blasting. I can find as many people that hate soda blasting cars and many that use it all the time. What to use on cars seems like many have what they like best sounds like you have a great system that you like. I'm gussing you said you don't use glass on the flat softer body parts because glass will damage it? Washing it after soda blasting isn't that normal proceedure to remove the soda? I'm in the Phoenix AZ so its really dry here should dry out fast. I will have to find out what works best for me. I don't plan on making cars my center of my business since that would limit to what I can do. I want to come up with a way to cool the air going to fresh air hood that comes with my blaster. I'm thinking of putting together an AC system from a car. I have built custom AC systems before and have all the tools I think I will use some sort of water heat exchanger instead of direct cooling in case a freon leak would cause it to go into the hood. If I setup a water cooler where it just cools the air line going to the hood that way I can blast in this hot time of the day. I will post pictures of my setup as I go.

·
Know your Role
64 Posts
Just try to be as diversified as possible. If you stay at it and continually turn out good work your business will lead you to industries that will use you regularly. Don't skimp on air supply (minimum 375 cfm) anything less than this and it feels like your blasting with a pencil. Get all the licenses, bonds, and insurances needed to get you into industrial, state, and federal facilities. Typically a 2 million dollar policy.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only have a 210cfm so I hope that is enough I guess I can upgrade later when things get rolling. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can help you!!!!!

e-mail me or call me, and I can help you out with the start-up of your business. Soda is not the way to go. You will like what I have to say.:thumbup::thumbsup:

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

kell490, to cool the air comming into your hood get a cold tube. I find them half price in ebay look under clemco or bullard in business and Industrial

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
e-mail me or call me, and I can help you out with the start-up of your business. Soda is not the way to go. You will like what I have to say.:thumbup::thumbsup:
Send me an email I would like to talk to you my email is [email protected]
My name is Kelly Anything I can learn is just a plus for me. My machine is going to be shipped to me around Aug 10th. I'm scheduled for training at the vendors place the following week.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kell490, to cool the air comming into your hood get a cold tube. I find them half price in ebay look under clemco or bullard in business and Industrial

Looks good what are they using to take the heat away? There website doesn't really explain how it works.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

some kind of venturi system it works I use a bullard cold tube everyday. Works great untill your on the sun side of the tank then you are going to get hot next to the steel no matter what.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

kell490. I will let you know. Western farm services was just bought up by CPS, or crop production services. CPS has been inspecting thier new tanks all of them have failed I think I will be in arizona before years end.PA

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the option for one large pot that does it all or one smaller soda and a smaller multimeda one.
I didn't see anyone else mentioning it yet, but the guys here have said to keep the soda pot for just soda. Too big a PITA trying to clean it out between different media. Maybe get a smaller soda pot, and go larger with the "everything else" pot.

Keep on absorbing knowledge about it; I think you'll do well at it. Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the vendor says if you run a pound of soda though it it will clean it out. I know I have read the same thing about that. I'm sure pot would come clean with a just using an air hose and water. I think the hose is the big issue you can't get crushed glass out of it. I might buy a 2nd hose for just soda. If I plan on doing soda I can clean the pot and change hoses. I think it will be better to have the one large one and I can buy a 2nd large one later on. As I learn more I'm not sure I will be using soda as much as I thought unless I get into cleaning resturants. Blasting cars and block shoudln't be an issue with cross contamination. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I see alot of tips on media and hardware, how about tips on blastng? Lots of people say sandblasting can warp body panels if you are not carefull. Is there tips on how to avoid this? I hope this post isn't a thread hi-jack, if it is let me know. I can start a new thread.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You can start by using the right nozzle. The use of a Air Induction Nozzle will help to reduce heat build up and keep warping the thin metal down. Try Kennametal.com . You can select your blast nozzle there and then find a distributer that is close to you.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts