Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to start my own owner operated dump truck service. Here are some of my concerns to understand what I will be looking forward to to become successful.
How did you start out and keep work daily?
How did you bid on the jobs? Is there a formula you go by or you just talk to that company and discuss what they are offering?
If you contract through businesses did they take out taxes or is that something I will have to track?
What is best to label your company under for instance, LLP, LLC, sole Proprietor, etc?
Any advice or web sites I can go that will give me some more direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

·
Registered
819 Posts
llc will make the most sense for most 1 man businesses....this is something you need to talk with your accountant about...he will discuss these options

i am a LLC and file as an S Corp

to price yourself you need to know 2 things....what your costs actually are and what your competition is charging

start out at your cost...add 10-40% profit....thats where youd LIKE to be
now how much is your competition charging? is it close to that number? if its below your cost then the competition is too fierce and they are killing each other....if its close to your number then your in a good market......your sell price should be with a decent profit and still within the local market for what you sell.......if everyone is $100 an hour you cant be $150.........

now you have to decide if your low/mid/high end....i dont know if dump trucks have categories like that....if your high end you need to do more than average for your customers...your truck has to be perfect, you need to give perfect service........you need to give something MORE to charge more

1 - 2 of 2 Posts