Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start my own small buisness doing Crown, Base, Case mouldings. Whats the best way to charge for this By the Hour, LF, Corner? Seems to be a real money maker I have lots of people who want it done but im not doing it for free.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
There have been a few threads on this site recently on the same subject. You may want to review them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I worked for a guy (still a good friend and still have access to all of his equipment for my milling pleasure) that makes moulding. He has some very old, very rock solid milling machines and these things will crank out about 500' per hour, milled on all four sides, any shape. One of his problems, and he acknowledges it, he cuts the wood up for the most $$$$. If you are going to think moulding, consider using ALL the wood....what are you going to do with the waste. I tried to convince him to turn one of his smaller machines into 1/4 round or small stops, or something that could be sold. His price is high because he wastes a lot...but he ain't missing any meals. Before you get too far into this, find out what the wholesale pricing is for some of the stuff you want to offer. AND matching up with a customer that needs what you are milling is sometimes not the easiest....Good luck, it is not hard work and I have seen some beautiful custom picked boards that ended up being even more beautiful crown moulding...now if you really want to get serious, start with a small sawmill and offer quarter-sawn red oak custom width flooring for the restoration market...Find a niche
mobjack68

·
Registered
147 Posts
I want to start my own small buisness doing Crown, Base, Case mouldings. Whats the best way to charge for this By the Hour, LF, Corner? Seems to be a real money maker I have lots of people who want it done but im not doing it for free.
There's a lot of money in medicine. Why don't you just become a doctor?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts