Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to thank you guys who have responded to a few posts I've made regarding installation of hardwood flooring. I have one more question.

I have the boxes of flooring sitting in my house and they will probably be sitting here until the week of Christmas. A friend of mine dropped off his bostich air nailer along with a damn near full box of 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" staples. He told me to use them if I can. I thought I would have to buy 2" staples. Flooring to be installed is 3/4" thick over 5/8" subfloor. 30# paper to be ran under flooring with possibly some 3 tab shingles on a few "dipped" areas.

Can I use the 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" long staples or should I buy the 2"???

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I used 2" exclusively for years until I read a post here by ccoffer about this very topic. When using any staple that pokes through the subfloor below, you often have tearout of the subfloor ply, thus decreasing holding power as less wood is gripping the fastener.
So to answer your question, no, you don't need to buy 2" staples, in my opinion.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,786 Posts
When I install flooring where the subfloor has been installed over concrete, I use 1 1/2" cleats because they don't punch through the subfloor. I agree, you don't need to buy 2" if you've already got staples.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I used 2" exclusively for years until I read a post here by ccoffer about this very topic. When using any staple that pokes through the subfloor below, you often have tearout of the subfloor ply, thus decreasing holding power as less wood is gripping the fastener.
So to answer your question, no, you don't need to buy 2" staples, in my opinion.
Great point.. Never thought of it that way..

·
Registered
810 Posts
5/8" suspended? No biggie, I guess, but not what the overlords recommend. Then again, I'd never put 30 pound felt under a floor either. (15 is bad enough. hehe)

Over 5/8", using 2 inch staples would be like 6 inch nails in a siding gun. More harm than good and more money for nothing. Lose lose.

An aside: This reminds me of something I forgot a long time ago. I put in some carpet in a cabin and only had 8 penny nails to back up my strip and whatnot. Got a call a few days after and turned out the ceiling over my work was the floor under my work. Just 3/4" members over exposed beams. Talk about being some kind of ashamed when I went back and saw my nails sticking through the ceiling. Had to get a ladder and drive them back up. ugghh
I'd never noticed the ceiling when I was doing the job. I'm a floor guy. I look down. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts