Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, just bought the Bostich EHF1838K to install a 1/2 engineered hickory floor. What staple length would you recommend. The basement underneath the subfloor is unfinished and I don't really want to see a bunch of staple ends but do want maximum holding power?

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you go all the way through any subfloor, you've lost holding power because of tearout. That's why 1-1/2 staples are better than 2 inch over a single 3/4 inch subfloor with 3/4 inch material, but everybody uses 2 inch because they think they must hold better because of all that basement air the ends of the staples are grabbing. :)

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you go all the way through any subfloor, you've lost holding power because of tearout. That's why 1-1/2 staples are better than 2 inch over a single 3/4 inch subfloor with 3/4 inch material, but everybody uses 2 inch because they think they must hold better because of all that basement air the ends of the staples are grabbing. :)
So it sounds like with 1/2 material I should go with a 1-1/4 staple...???

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
I think Rusty had it right. With 1/2" material and 3/4" subfloor, and the tongue at around 1/4"...you're left with one inch of fastenable material.

·
Registered
810 Posts
This is where I go all Erkel on yerass and say that it depends on where the top of the tongue is. Just figure the hypotenuse. It's the distance from the top of the tongue times the square root of 2 (1.414)

On 3/4 inch material the math goes like this: 1/2(top of tongue) + 3/4(subfloor) = 1.25.
1.25 x 1.414 = 1.767 Hence 1.5 inch staples hold better than 2.0 staples.

Folla?

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ccoffer said:
This is where I go all Erkel on yerass and say that it depends on where the top of the tongue is. Just figure the hypotenuse. It's the distance from the top of the tongue times the square root of 2 (1.414)

On 3/4 inch material the math goes like this: 1/2(top of tongue) + 3/4(subfloor) = 1.25.
1.25 x 1.414 = 1.767 Hence 1.5 inch staples hold better than 2.0 staples.

Folla?
I'm with ya Erkel. Just got my new stapler. I didn't realize that it drives the staples at close to a 45 degree angle otherwise I would have figured it out myself.

Tongue height is 1/4". 1 x 1.414 = about an 1-1/4 staple should work well.

Haven't started yet. Just threw a few pieces out to see the color. Gonna start in the middle.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts