Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Hopeing someone can help me out with some good advise on stanly hydraulic drills
In Dec I was working on a landing of a undersea fiberoptic cable. Part of the job was to drill and set some 7/8" stainless ubolts. The company I was working for had just purchased a Gas powered HPU and a StanlyHD45 hammer drill. We were not able to test it until we got to the location becuase they would not let the HPU, drill or hoses on the plane with fluid or engine oil/fuel in them.
When we fired it up it really did not seem like it was doing much hammering. Underwater it was pretty inefective. I read the manual and assumend it was due to problem with the charge in the accumulator. We did and still dont have the proper tool to check the charge of the nitrogen in the accumulator. We were on a remote island so getting the acumulator fill/check tool was out of the question.
We were able to borrow a SK58 sinker drill which punched holes like nobodys buisness.
I flew home after finishing that job and they borrowed the drill for the next island over.

So first question is does anyone here have experence with the stanly HD45 drill. When you run them on land should they rotate and pulse or should they HAMMER and when downward pressure is not applied bounce around like a chicken on crack? Thats what the sinker would do. Do you think was right in my accessment that the problem was with the accumulator charge(on the second job they took it up to the airport and "put 600psi of nitrogen pressure in it" I looked at the procedure for checking/adjusting the pressure and it looks to me like you need the proper tool to be able to open/adjust and just hooking up 600psi to a closed valve would be futile. Or is it a check valve assy and you can just put pressure on the input side and it will get into and stay in the accumulator?

Second part of the question is does anyone have a recomendation on a sales/service center for Stanly hydraulic tools on the west cost preferably california?

Cheers and thanks in advance
Jim

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Jim, what depth are you working at, I don't have any experience with stanly hydraulic rotary hammers, but have used pnumatics extensively with no major problems other than broken coupling fittings at the threads. I was on a job (ACOE) on a bunch of canal locks in fla installing trash racks over the draft tube openings, drilled thousands of 3/4" holes in crete underwater. I have always found letting the bit "dance" a little as opposed to applying preassure works much better (the sediment and the bits flighting gets much more fouled underwater than in the dry)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This job was from ankle deep (150yards) to 65' which was bout another 100yards. From 75' there is a wall that drops to over 2000'. The HD45 would not dance. The SK58 would dance to the point that starting the second hole for the ubolt in the right spot was a 2 man operation.

It was my understanding that pneumatic hammers were effective underwater but the percussion was dangerous for your ears. Did you have protection?

Only deep work I have done lately is sponge collection for the local university at 70-100meters. Kind of fun as I pick the sites and have a chance to look around once in a while.

Dive work is not what I do to pay the bills but when a $500 a day job comes nocking on my door 2 weeks before christmas I jump on it.

I did say up tonight and call the stanly rep for the west coast. Just got his answering machine but he called me back at 5am and he also had his tech send me some emails. The more I get into it the more it sounds like the accumulator is the problem. Will keep anyone interested informed. This may be long drawn out proccess as I am many miles and time zones away.

Cheers Jim

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
sounds like a cool job jim, and brings back some memories:thumbup: I did commercial dive work for 6 years, 3 and a half of which was deep sat work in the GOM oil industry, those were the days

for future reference, any percussion underwater is very intensified, but Im talking about small gas pocket explosions from exothermic cutting and burning operations in confined/overhead accumulation, pnumatic tool operation is harmless, will rattle your fillings but otherwise harmless (tool pressure over bottom pressure) regardless of depth, and none of the environmental/CG issues associated with hydraulics.

I found we went through carbide tipped splined bits like crack, they got really fouled if you didn't work the drill, we prolly bought out every 3/4" bit within 40 miles of stuart fla. for *****s and grins, we grabbed a couple of 3/4" star hammer chisles and machined them to fit an sds-spline adapter and they worked remarkably well, we just kept a handfull in constant rotation for sharpening and sending back down in a bucket

1 - 4 of 4 Posts