Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That sure can't be a good thing. It will only be a matter of time before everything Stanley makes will be made in Mexico.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
350 billion in 'cost saving synergy' doesn't sound good for jobs either:no:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Mexico is better than China, no? A lot easier to manage quality control when they're next door. Also, it keeps the costs down because of NAFTA.
Sure, it's not the worst thing that could happen but I'd still prefer it to stay a US owned company making their products in the US. Best of both worlds. First thing Black and Decker does anytime they take over a company is shut the doors down and moves everything to Mexico.
I guess we can all hope Stanley will be the one to wear the pants and move everything back here. :thumbup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
More stanley news

As I stated once before I have a client that is a Rep for Stanley(not sure his exact title, but he is up there money wise). He told me that Bostich is taking over the Fat Max line. All the Fat Max stuff will be Bostich before long.

Still in the negotiations with this client( looks good though). He told me I am going to love working on his house, he will give me some really cool stuff to try.
I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Except for the Proto tools by stanley and the odd tape measure, have they been making anything in the US anyway? I quit looking at much of stanleys stuff after finding Hencho en China one too many times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
does Bostitch + PorterCable = higher prices for quality nail guns??

I dont really use any other brands aside from Bostitch and PorterCable. Always priced 1 vs the other. Are the guns by Hitachi, Makita, etc going to keep Stanley from raising prices?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Except for the Proto tools by stanley and the odd tape measure, have they been making anything in the US anyway? I quit looking at much of stanleys stuff after finding Hencho en China one too many times.
Stanley still makes a surprising about of stuff here in the US. The vast majority of stuff that I've looked at made by them is made here. Within the last year or so they've even started making their tool boxes here again. I also researched 2" 18ga brad gun about a year ago and they are the only manufacturer that I could find that still makes one here. Model #BT200K

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Just hope my wife gets to keep her job. She works for Black and Decker. They already gave everyone pay cuts, stopped matching 401k, and now they are laying off 10% of the workforce because of this merger. They already laid off a bunch of people a few months ago.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just another example of Big Business scrambling to find profitability in this bad economy. I rarely if ever use either of their tools, so it wont directly affect me, but I don't like the prospect of more jobs being shipped outside of the US.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'll stick to my german tools, they are not going anywhere.
German, French, American...all chinese parts on the inside.:shifty:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts