Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a set of blueprints for a small family. They already have an existing slab from an old log home that has been removed and they are planning on building a stud framed house on top of it. Therefore....all of the plumbing connections, drains, and electrical are already set and I am having to build the house around them. In the [future] master bathroom they want a 48" standup shower directly over where the shower was located before. The problem is that I need to shift the standup shower away from the center of the drain a little to make everything fit. Right now I have the center of the shower lined up ontop of the shower drain. I have never had to do a set of prints on an existing slab before and I needed to know how far (if any) can I move the middle of the shower from the center of the drain and still allow it to drain properly. Any help would be appreciated, and I hope you can understand my question. Thanks.
-Rainer Mundy
www.texashouseplans.com

·
Registered
438 Posts
Are you custom building the shower? if so you may move the drain to within a few inches of the corners to allow for pitch.

However if you are going with a stock unit, get ready to dig.

BJD

·
Registered
295 Posts
THP said:
I am working on a set of blueprints for a small family. They already have an existing slab from an old log home that has been removed and they are planning on building a stud framed house on top of it. Therefore....all of the plumbing connections, drains, and electrical are already set and I am having to build the house around them. In the [future] master bathroom they want a 48" standup shower directly over where the shower was located before. The problem is that I need to shift the standup shower away from the center of the drain a little to make everything fit. Right now I have the center of the shower lined up ontop of the shower drain. I have never had to do a set of prints on an existing slab before and I needed to know how far (if any) can I move the middle of the shower from the center of the drain and still allow it to drain properly. Any help would be appreciated, and I hope you can understand my question. Thanks.
-Rainer Mundy
www.texashouseplans.com

It all depends on the the depth of the shower drain.If it doesn't already, pour some water in the drain and measure from the water to the slab. This will tell you how much pipe is on the stand pipe and if there is enough usually, you can offset with 45"s but not 90's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts