Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am yanking an r-panel roof off a fire hall and 4 of the panels are translucent for light. We are going back with an 18" double lock standing seam roof, with 2" tall seams, and they've decided they want to go back with translucent panels. I don't even know if anyone has come up with such a thing. Any suggestions, comments, laughing, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Hey Izzy,

Just a polite heads up, you will get alot of useful feedback here if you follow the protocol of the site, namely fill out your profile including area, then do an intro in the introduction section.

Welcome to CT:thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
sounds like you gotta problem. so far as i know, they don't make what you're looking for. there are ways around the problem tho.

first of all, we'll need lot's of pics. existing roof system, deck, structual, interior, access, etc. the more, the better.

on a side note, as i'm new nere too, i think ya gotta achieve a mininum post count in order to post pics. i still don't know what that number is.

i guess that means you'll have to contribute some of your expertise to this site (in the form of informative posts) in order to gain the "post count" needed to post your pics.

funny thing is, i'm now one post closer to posting my pics.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
sounds like you gotta problem. so far as i know, they don't make what you're looking for. there are ways around the problem tho.

first of all, we'll need lot's of pics. existing roof system, deck, structual, interior, access, etc. the more, the better.

on a side note, as i'm new nere too, i think ya gotta achieve a mininum post count in order to post pics. i still don't know what that number is.

i guess that means you'll have to contribute some of your expertise to this site (in the form of informative posts) in order to gain the "post count" needed to post your pics.

funny thing is, i'm now one post closer to posting my pics.
Dan, I thought it was 20 posts. I could be wrong, but try to post them. You're at 21 now.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Hello all. I am yanking an r-panel roof off a fire hall and 4 of the panels are translucent for light. We are going back with an 18" double lock standing seam roof, with 2" tall seams, and they've decided they want to go back with translucent panels. I don't even know if anyone has come up with such a thing. Any suggestions, comments, laughing, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

are you using a manufactures panel?or just going to have it run off on site

maybe the manufacturer has a recommendation,probably can be done but i wouldn't wanna have to guarantee it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for not playing by the rules. Problem is we were supposed to start the roof in question yesterday. I actually googled these forums. The metal is being run off locally, and I'm hauling it with the gooseneck. They have no suggestions, but would love an answer! Does me alot of good! It would take alot of curbed skylights to accomplish what the translucent panels are producing, but it may be a last resort. No skylights and more artificial lighting is the best answer I've given myself! Thanks again guys (and gals maybe) for any and all your help.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sorry for sounding somewhat harsh, but isnt it a little late for this now?

Didnt you say something when it came up?

Sounds like you shouldnt even be involved with the project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Umm yes Dr. Harsh, it is a little late. Thing is, the fire chief knew we probably couldn't go back with the same thing and was fine with that. This is a non-profit organization with a board of directors. So up rolls a cadillac, out steps a member of the board, and things change. This job is a favor for the local Fire Dept, so it's not gone exactly "typical". If a richer board member shows tomorrow, things will change again. Just thought I'd see if any of the roofing gods had suggestions before I just slam the door in the face of natural lighting, but thanks for your obvious expert opinion.

·
Tile roof and PV systems
25 Posts
We installed two dozen 22 inch tubular sky lights in a 10000 sq. ft. shop. They do not need to turn the lights on in the day. Tubular skylights are cheaper and more effective than curbed skylights.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'd say it could be done but probably only with some type of curb system, with custom made flashing work.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How far are the beams spaced?

The best answer I can think of right now is to use a bunch of the small tube skylights that will install in the panel, if set up right and the runs are long enough to have a break point in them that would be the prime placement.

I think 2x4's would have to have a sub-framing then curb mounted, plus the cost would huge.

Install photovoltaic panels in the flats to off-set the cost of having the lights on... get some of the govt grant money for going green on govt projects...

·
Tile roof and PV systems
25 Posts
Were these installed on a standing seam metal roof?
That particular roof was PCV and done by a different roofer (I only did the sky lights.) I have instaled them on metal too. It's just like any other pipe.

Install photovoltaic panels in the flats to off-set the cost of having the lights on... get some of the govt grant money for going green on govt projects...

I'm going to get certified for PV systems next month. I hope to get working fulltime again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts