Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Green would look soooo much better on that house!

I agree with renegade about the quality of contractor over the manufacturer of the roof.

However if you want your roof to look amazing for the next 40years, especially with green as it tends to fade pretty bad. I would highly recommend installing a minimum 26ga but prefer 24. Most importantly be sure to buy metal that is Kynar/hylar coated. These roofs fade but they fade uniformly and they only fade so much.

Lumber store versions generally have a lesser paint coating unless specifically requested. These roofs fade at different rates and after 15yrs look horrible. That is not to say you can't get a bad batch of product with Kynar but you certainly lessen the chances of this happening.

Basically the cheap lumber store variety is coated with gutter coil paint. Kynar is the stuff the government buys with our money when building post offices, schools, etc.

Good luck with your project!

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
Randy, Bridger Steel is the other one. They are good to work with but on big projects they can cost quite a bit more. I like working with the guys from Bridger. Like I said earlier though sometimes its 5 -10 k cheaper on a big roof to use Metal Sales and they pallet their materials. I like that because I can set 50 panels that are 40 ft long on a roof with a forklift and 3 guys can install them which also saves me money.

I like using both, I needed a price for a 290 sq 8/12 mechanical lock job for swank and they asked friday if I could have a revised number by tonight and Bridger told me at least 2 weeks for a quote. So I sent an email to Metal Sales and the numbers in my inbox right now. Both have benefits. As far as the quicker trim, I usually order a decent amount of flats just in case and have a sheet metal bend little things I need if its 24 or 22ga. His turn around is 4 hrs and Bridgers is 4 days no matter what. Metal sales is about 3 weeks for anything.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,855 Posts
Randy, Bridger Steel is the other one. They are good to work with but on big projects they can cost quite a bit more. I like working with the guys from Bridger. Like I said earlier though sometimes its 5 -10 k cheaper on a big roof to use Metal Sales and they pallet their materials. I like that because I can set 50 panels that are 40 ft long on a roof with a forklift and 3 guys can install them which also saves me money.

I like using both, I needed a price for a 290 sq 8/12 mechanical lock job for swank and they asked friday if I could have a revised number by tonight and Bridger told me at least 2 weeks for a quote. So I sent an email to Metal Sales and the numbers in my inbox right now. Both have benefits. As far as the quicker trim, I usually order a decent amount of flats just in case and have a sheet metal bend little things I need if its 24 or 22ga. His turn around is 4 hrs and Bridgers is 4 days no matter what. Metal sales is about 3 weeks for anything.
I buy a fair amount of flat stock too. If out of town end up making most of my gable trim and there is always flashing and such that needs to be made on site. I have my brake mounted right in my trailer . It is a Black Max Tapco ,works ok for te lighter metals. Never done the 26 ga yet and have some jobs of that coming up so will see how it works.

·
User Chief Architect
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update went with A.B. Martin all the others on here I tried contacting but with NO Luck. So had to purchase it from my home town of Carlisle and truck it up my self.

2000 sqft with 2 valleys using ABSeam 19.5 inch all materials $ 7,000.00 took 4 of us 3 days including ripping off the shingles.

Very happy with it ! Thanks guys for the pointers !

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts