Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
User Chief Architect
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of things ! LOL

As a retired contractor and coming back into it temporarily !

I have a vacation home outside of Williamsport Pennsylvania.

And was looking for contractors in the area and also recommendation of brands.

The Roof pitch is 5 roof area approx. 1100 sqft

Looking to change it to a green standing seam :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wish I was retired. Just too busy this time of year Tom.

As far as the OP, Not so much recommend a brand as there are sooo many around and many sell the same profiles under their own pet name. I prefer to give recommendations on profiles and systems.

Here are some of the basic things I recommend:

No exposed fasteners
No static nail flanges
No two-piece clips
The minimum system I ever recommend is a 24 ga 1 3/4" snap lock system. It is a very common panel profile that many many mfrs sell.
I'm not a big fan of the 2" mechanical but it is very popular.
By far the best engineered system is Imetco Series 300. It is mfr'd in Atlanta so not too bad for you. Try to find a contractor in your area that is certified to install that system as it is a lot different than your normal standing seam installations.
Underlayments are over-rated but if it makes you sleep better at night make sure it is a HI TEMP ice/water, not just ordinary ice/water.
Many "contractors" depend on ice/water shield to make up for poor craftsmanship. A quality installer does not need anything underneath to keep the weather out.
The latter statements were to stress the most important factor; Your roof is only as good as the person installing it.

I wouldn't rely on finding a mfr. It's better to find a good metal contractor (not just any roofer) and get their opinion and advice.

Am sure I could have more to say but am really tired, just not re-tired

·
Registered
648 Posts
In my top ten list of mfrs I cannot stand doing business with, Metal Sales is number one. Wholesale only and terrible (nonexistent) customer service.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Where do you order it out of? Because back in the 80's and early 90's I used to do a lot of business with them here and everything was fine. Then they went wholesale only and won't give you the time of day. Have to go through a supplier unless it's a huge job, then they want to talk.

If you won't deal with me on the small jobs, I won't deal with you on the big ones.

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
We order it from a supplier, but the last roof I did cost 16 percent less to order metal sales from a supplier then from the local rollform guys. I haven't had problems on any of the houses and such, we have a few from time to time on 100+ sq jobs but its mainly in getting more material in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,838 Posts
I live in Montana, we have two manufacturers. I put down about 4 acres of Metal Sales roofing this year with hardly any problems. I just order what I need and install it, my customer never talks to the supplier.
Is that including Bridger Steel? They just bought out our local company. So not sure what to think of them yet. Is a pain getting use to the new salesmen.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The one thing about local that I like is I can order custom trim , are a few things I have made different then normal, Plus lead time is way better them Metal Sales

·
Registered
648 Posts
The one thing about local that I like is I can order custom trim , are a few things I have made different then normal, Plus lead time is way better them Metal Sales
Our branch IS the plant and still can't get anything under three weeks usually. Plus any questions have to go through a supplier, then won't discuss anything with you directly. Not someone I will do business with.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Our branch IS the plant and still can't get anything under three weeks usually. Plus any questions have to go through a supplier, then won't discuss anything with you directly. Not someone I will do business with.
I agree,The way I see it once yards got their hands in the steel siding and roofing it really messed it up dealing and buying wholesale with alot of suppliers for guys like us. So far I am still able to buy wholesale , but not the margin in it that there needs to be.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Renegade said:

Yeah I prefer to deal directly with the manufacturer, actually that's the only way I do it.

·
User Chief Architect
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Called Imetco and waiting on a call back from the Rep trying to locate a installer.

Checked into Metal Sales they are over 2 hours away.

Finding a lot of info on pricing from $ 3 to $ 10 sqft wow if its around $ 10 sqft might as well go with a real slate roof !

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Called Imetco and waiting on a call back from the Rep trying to locate a installer.

Finding a lot of info on pricing from $ 3 to $ 10 sqft wow if its around $ 10 sqft might as well go with a real slate roof !
Is that installed price? 5-6 around here.

·
Registered
648 Posts

Can't quote labor in Pennsylvania but material is relatively consistent.
$3/sqft will possibly cover materials on the lower-end type systems I posted above. Yours is about average as far as difficulty and accessories per square so around here it would be in the $6-8.50 range depending on the system you went with.
There are cheaper metal options out there, I just don't recommend or advertise them.

Being you are in construction I'm going to assume the slate wasn't a serious consideration so I won't go into how that probably isn't an option there and definitely for that price range.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wish I was retired. Just too busy this time of year Tom.

As far as the OP, Not so much recommend a brand as there are sooo many around and many sell the same profiles under their own pet name. I prefer to give recommendations on profiles and systems.

Here are some of the basic things I recommend:

No exposed fasteners
No static nail flanges
No two-piece clips
The minimum system I ever recommend is a 24 ga 1 3/4" snap lock system. It is a very common panel profile that many many mfrs sell.
I'm not a big fan of the 2" mechanical but it is very popular.)

Have you seen failures with a two piece sliding clip system? They are required for mechanical lock NDL projects.

I would agree that 2" mechanical lock is a pain to work with on residential (its a commercial panel anyway). However a 1.5" 24ga Kynar coated mechanical lock with striations is probably the best solid deck metal roof ever made, excluding copper.

Curious if you have seen failures with two piece sliding clips. How and why? We install thousands of them a year. Would like to for our own sake.

Thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
Have you seen failures with a two piece sliding clip system? They are required for mechanical lock NDL projects.

I would agree that 2" mechanical lock is a pain to work with on residential (its a commercial panel anyway). However a 1.5" 24ga Kynar coated mechanical lock with striations is probably the best solid deck metal roof ever made, excluding copper.

Curious if you have seen failures with two piece sliding clips. How and why? We install thousands of them a year. Would like to for our own sake.

Thanks
Yes I have. I'll see if I still have some pictures of the last one we had to repair. They may be on the harddrive of my computer that crashed. The pictures are still on there. I just haven't had the time to hook it up and transfer the.

Microburst took the roof off a large section of a school.
Most bases were still intact along the eave and the entire roof was folded over the other side of the ridge. That was a chore to cut up and get off the roof. Also had a job in Montana that the clips were binding up and the seam were coming apart. This one was single seamed, not double-seamed though. You have to know what you are doing using them or they will fail. Unfortunately many people don't understand how they work.

Most specs on jobs around here are specifically excluding any two-pc clips.

On the OP's house, it's not really going to matter what system he puts on. The runs are not big enough to have to worry too much about movement. With jobs even that small I still don't recommend anything less than some kind of a clip-system.

The nice thing about Imetco's series 300 is that the clip does not come in contact with any adhesives whatsoever. The adhesive is in the seam cap. The seam is free to float up and down the clip infinitely. Plus it's a symmetrical panel so much easier to install. You can start anywhere you want and go either direction.

·
Registered
649 Posts
We just installed this little canopy. MBCI 24 ga Artisan soffit panels, snow white and MBCI 24 ga Craftsman Series concealed fastener roof panels, patina green.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts