Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a cabinet and the client wants a tilt out for the sink front. Everything in this kitchen is tight. the cabinet (top) opening is 22 3/4 x 28 7/8 and we are putting a 18 x 28 (26 x 26 ID) undermount sink that is 9" deep.

What I'd like to know is what is the standard setback for the hole from the front of the countertop for an undermount sink. And how far back can I push it before it gets uncomfortable to wash dishes in the sink.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Leo, wnen tolerances are tight it also helps to know what the backsplash behind the faucet will be as well as the faucet type escuchen size etc....GMOD

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I believe it really depends on the make/model. Most sinks I deal with are 18"-20" front to back. You obviously cannot center each sink because of the counter overhang but I think you'd be pretty safe assuming at least 3" back.

If it's an equal-double, I'd try to center in on the counter. If it's a 1-3/4, I'd try to center it on the small side.

A 4" setback on a 20" sink is putting it almost into the backsplash.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flange to flange it is 18" deep, the sink itself is 16" deep, I assume the countertop backsplash will be the same as the counter, they could easily make it out of 3/4" as they could from the 3 cm (countertop thickness).

Stainless steel, yes. Single basin.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just glad you could participate with the topic. Thanks.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Leo,

I think you need to get specs from either the designer or counter top folks. What will the over hang be? Are you sure about the 3/4" backsplash? I have seen guys do a full 3cm backsplash. :blink:

If you go typical (not saying standard) 25" counter top with 3/4" backsplash and a 16" visible sink, that gives you 4 1/8" spacing on both sides of the side (front/back).

Now if there's going to be a single hole, single level faucet, you need to account for the handle swinging towards the backsplash. I'd assume almost 2 1/2" swing backwards. In that case, you may want to move the sink forward to accommodate the faucet handle.

Honestly, if the sink and faucet are already picked out, the counter guys should have these answers.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Leo,

I think you need to get specs from either the designer or counter top folks. What will the over hang be? Are you sure about the 3/4" backsplash? I have seen guys do a full 3cm backsplash. :blink:

If you go typical (not saying standard) 25" counter top with 3/4" backsplash and a 16" visible sink, that gives you 4 1/8" spacing on both sides of the side (front/back).

Now if there's going to be a single hole, single level faucet, you need to account for the handle swinging towards the backsplash. I'd assume almost 2 1/2" swing backwards. In that case, you may want to move the sink forward to accommodate the faucet handle.

Honestly, if the sink and faucet are already picked out, the counter guys should have these answers.

What he said, additionally often we have had requests for those tilt out drawer faces, and often, the numbers do not allow enough room. GMOD

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't done a tilt out is a long time. Usually my sink cab is 36" and there is room on the sides for the hardware to clear the sink. This sink is going to fill the width of the cabinet. I had to make the lazy sue cabinet 1" short on the sink side so I could center it under the window. If the window was 1 to 2" more to the right I probably wouldn't be having this issue. She wants the biggest sink she can get in this cabinet and plans on using the dishwasher....:wallbash:

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
The one in the Picture was down the street from where I was working back in ...........80's in winterpark Fla. I went down to see it happen - omg- cars, trucks, boats were falling from the garage in the middle top.

I think it got 3 -4 house's and then the pool at the bottom.

not a good day for a few people

1 - 14 of 14 Posts