Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a design program that can "construct" a stairway from main floor to basement? The existing stairs are straight down--do not meet Code. I would like to avoid the "cut & paste" routine.

Thanx

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I think you're better off figuring it long hand. Divide it out so it does meet code. And then draw it into, if needed, your cad program. It's pretty easy to figure... height divided by 7.25" gives you number of risers.. most likely will have a fractional number. Bump number up or down and divide that back into height to give you height of risers. Use code in your area to figure out what length tread is and figure if you have enough space.
That's pretty cut and dry - there are many other variables that need to be considered. Use of stair, users of the stair, other structural issues, surroundings, materials, etc. But that's the basics.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
That's pretty good for someone that knows how to layout a stair to begin with. It doesn't take into account the tread material for the bottom cut and I can make it give me a ladder that it says is OK (without looking at what it's telling you). It also doesn't tell you what your local codes will allow. So before using this calculator make sure you ask questions first of your local building department to get allowable stair tread and riser dimensions (they aren't the same everywhere although they should be). And take the tread material into account when laying out the bottom tread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts