Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fixing to do some stair treads in cherry and i can't decide which way to go about it. First choice is to have 3/4 flooring and a 1inch nosing piece rabbeted out on the bottom to match the 3/4. Second is to glue up treads out of 3/4 stock with biscuits and the same 1" nosing piece. I know the flooring would be faster are there any other advantages or disadvantages? Thanks!

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
Buy 5/4 treads. Or glue up and mill 5/4 treads. Final dimensional thickness needs to be 1" clear, or they will crack and warp. I was in a house I installed 14 years ago a few weeks ago, it was the first solid tread job I ever installed. The treads still don’t squeak, and look great. But they are real treads. Flooring glued down will last 2-3 years tops. You will make money because it will last long enough to get you out of warrantee, but that is it.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You will be able to find cherry stair treads at any flooring supplier. Also many mills offer glue up services.

LOOK AROUND. Make a few calls. seems silly to reinvent the wheel.

P.S. please put your location in your profile. Can't send you to any one if we don't know where you are.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! Found some 5/4 stock today so i will start gluing up Monday. Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You are welcome.
And thank you for the courtesy of letting us know the outcome.
Sometimes people forget to conclude a post and leave every one wondering how things turned out.

GOOD GLUING! MIKE

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
5/4 is the way to go... Used to work for a stair company, glued many a tread...

·
Steve
317 Posts
I vote for buying the treads. I just completed a 15 step conversion in my house from carpet to oak treads with white risers. I had some 5/4 left from other jobs. DAMN at the time it eats up, planing, edge joint, glue and clamp, planing final thickness.....
No way could I price out a job and plan to make the treads.....
Just my 2 pennies worth

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
Oak treads I always buy, they are so cheap it is ridiculous; I am paying $25 or so a tread for 48" unfinished. Maple about 50% I buy depends on what the local flooring company has in stock. Other woods I always make cherry, walnut, mahogany, exe. The cost on those justify the labor involved in manufacture, also you can get better looking treads.

·
copycat
60 Posts
You need at least 1" thickness on the treads. I always purchased the treads it saves time and ends up being cheaper. The treads I work with are usually 1.0625".

Buy the treads and make the returns if you need to out of the same material. Thats your best bet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts