Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Carpentry
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand template tool are you guys using for stair treads? I have been borrowing one when needed and figure it's time to stop being so cheap and get one for myself. The one I have been borrowing works real nice, the only problem is that there are no markings on it and I cant find the exact one online anywhere. I asked the owner of it and he can't remember where he got it from. So what seems to work for you? Thanks

I was looking at this one from woodcraft, anyone have the same one?

·
Registered
53 Posts

I have this one. It does the job, but I don't like the rubber edges, i think they flex and introduce a bit or error. I should look into replacing the rubber with some thin plexi or something

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,088 Posts

I have this one. No complaints. But I'm not a power user of these things either.

·
Registered
GC
1,026 Posts

I have this one. No complaints. But I'm not a power user of these things either.
I have one like this as well. Picked it up Lumber liquidators for $15. It did the job just fine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have one just like the one in your post except it is aluminum not wood. It works great. I marked the upper right side with a spot of paint so I always lay it on the tread in the correct orientation . I mark my line and then cut close to the line with a sliding miter saw then belt sand it to the line. I give it some back bevel on one side so it drops down into place easily.
just don’t bevel it clear out to the nosing or you will see it. I think the one I have is made by Stairtool.

nicko

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can buy a plastic one from the orange store that works fine. I think its fast cap that sells a higher quality aluminum one that holds up better.

·
Registered
Carpentry
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one just like the one in your post except it is aluminum not wood. It works great. I marked the upper right side with a spot of paint so I always lay it on the tread in the correct orientation . I mark my line and then cut close to the line with a sliding miter saw then belt sand it to the line. I give it some back bevel on one side so it drops down into place easily.
just don’t bevel it clear out to the nosing or you will see it. I think the one I have is made by Stairtool.

nicko
I like the idea of it being made of aluminum. I will have to look into those.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I have this as well. Works great for me too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it’s the best to buy aluminum alloy. Plastic will become soft and wood boards will break easily. Aluminum alloy is lighter than steel. So, I bought aluminum alloy.
You can refer to this
贝拉多莫

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have one like this as well. Picked it up Lumber liquidators for $15. It did the job just fine.
Damn, that is a great price if it is actually a Collins. I think when I bought mine it was around $45 - $50. Of course this was a long time ago, bought it when you could only get his stuff from his webpage.

·
Registered
GC
1,026 Posts
Damn, that is a great price if it is actually a Collins. I think when I bought mine it was around $45 - $50. Of course this was a long time ago, bought it when you could only get his stuff from his webpage.
There is no way it was any kind of name brand. Something along the lines of "Shining light of perfect stair". I picked it up because I needed something right then. It was handy, cheap, and looked like it would work. It even had that Chiniseuim stink.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts