Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built stairs with poplar risers that are made from multiple pieces of wood glued together? Is it less stable that way and more prone to settling, cracking in future, and creaking stairs? or is it just as solid as a riser made up of only one piece of poplar.
can’t find much online about this.
Thanks!

·
Eater of sins.
4,497 Posts
The glue that you use to adhere the wood together will have a lot to do with the longevity of the risers. I think that any one of the Titebond glues will do you well. Titebond II or III would be my choice.
In many cases, the glue is as strong as or stronger than the wood itself.
I would think that the glued pieces would be less prone to cracking, though Poplar is a very stable, if not very hard wood.

Andy.

·
Design Build
5,747 Posts
is this for a certain look?
does it make the stairway more safe or easier to transit?
sketch your idea and ask your local permit office what they think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
is this for a certain look?
does it make the stairway more safe or easier to transit?
sketch your idea and ask your local permit office what they think.
This is not a code question. The permit desk is going to look at him like he has a third eye.

OP: FJ lumber can be more stable than solid lumber. Or it can be much worse. It depends on glue used and the QC of the manufacturing plant that produced the board. In general FJ poplar 1x stock is fairly good for paint grade but you do run a risk of the joints telegraphing through the paint.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is not a code question. The permit desk is going to look at him like he has a third eye.

OP: FJ lumber can be more stable than solid lumber. Or it can be much worse. It depends on glue used and the QC of the manufacturing plant that produced the board. In general FJ poplar 1x stock is fairly good for paint grade but you do run a risk of the joints telegraphing through the paint.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,580 Posts
Thank you. Here is a picture of what I’m talking about. It seems there are different opinions. Some think this way, 2 boards glued together, is more stable, and some think not.
I hope it’s clearer this way.

Nothing wrong with edge glued risers like that. The wider the single board, the more prone it is to warping/cupping with moisture changes. That said, 7" risers from solid boards , is going to be plenty stable.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I wonder if the underlying unasked question is actually about appearance. “My builder installed these boards and they don’t look like the boards in the pictures in the architectural magazines of high dollar houses. Can i make him change them?”

·
Artist and not a curator
12,129 Posts
I wonder if the underlying unasked question is actually about appearance. “My builder installed these boards and they don’t look like the boards in the pictures in the architectural magazines of high dollar houses. Can i make him change them?”
I wouldn't be as cynical. The way they're installed with bright #2 Phillips screws... most likely a homeowner deal.

As far as the original post, that wood is fine. The seem will break last on poplar edge glued with a glue joint. It's more likely that the wood would split where there is grain tension before the seem would, so long as it's quality.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,580 Posts
I wouldn't be as cynical. The way they're installed with bright #2 Phillips screws... most likely a homeowner deal.

As far as the original post, that wood is fine. The seem will break last on poplar edge glued with a glue joint. It's more likely that the wood would split where there is grain tension before the seem would, so long as it's quality.

I don't see the issue with the screws. I use bright silver sq head assembly screws. I've bought surplus hardware from online auctions where factories have closed. You'd be surprised at how many of these places still use philips tipped screws & most are bright silver.

·
Registered
501 Posts
What do you exactly mean by that? I’m sorry but I am new to all of this. Thanks
He means that typically the final treads and risers usually get installed very late, to prevent damage. You don’t even have sheetrock installed ... lots of work left to do, lots of opportunity to damage the treads.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.