Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
Here is another case of getting into something I shouldn't.
The pictures shown are obviously in need of some repair. The homeowner tried some repairs a few yrs. ago and they have failed. They could be covered with the pavers the owner already has, as shown, or they could be repaired again and done correctly this time. My questions are:
How should I deal with the offset sides...lay a brick side or repair and stucco?
what pattern would best suit the treads and risers?
How about bricking the treads and stucco finish the risers?
The obvious solution is to tear it all out and start over, that is not an option in this case. It is cost prohibitive, access to the area is restricted.
Anything you can advise me on is appreciated.
This is a very good customer, I have done two bathrooms, their kitchen and a sunroom rebuilding for them and I want to do them right. Thanks in advance, Joe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Thanks for the pics....

Here are my thoughts, recognizing the situation as you explained.

With a little bit of repair to the risers, you could brick or tile the steps quite easily. I would chop out the deteriorated corners reform and replace the corners tying it all together with some rebar drilled into the existing concrete. If you choose to use the brick, i would put a bit of an slope on the tread to make the riser brick work out with a halfway decent size bed joint.

This is a classic situation in which to take a real liability and with a bit of creativigy you could turn it into a real asset, and in the process become somewhat of a cult hero in the family. It's obvious that code etc is not important....so with no restraint why not go a little crazy.

For tile/slate the sky is the limit. :eek:

I personally have always thought that doing a mosaic/crazy pattern out of 4 or 5 complimentary outdoor tiles in would be kind of kool. It also would be fairly easy as with a crazy pattern you don't have to have the careful jointage of traditional tile. Below is a picture of a crazy pattern...now just come up with a few more colors and stick it to the steps.

Or here is another really cool product that you might be able to make work....i especially like their pebbles for stairs.
http://www.islandstone.com/gallery.php?id=55&keywords=Pebble_Stairs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts