Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I don't know about other States but if we see something in our line of work and don't fix it or red tag it we are also liable if something goes wrong.

It's amazing that people go for cosmetic yet have something that glaringly ugly and dangerous that might be "too expensive" to fix.
How would you do that in someone's home?

·
Registered
44 Posts
How would you do that in someone's home?
Let's say for example, a person asks you to come out and service their built in BBQ. You notice no air flow ventilation.

If the client refuses to add the air flow you tell them you cannot service it, red tag it and take a picture. That way, if there is a gas leak and injuries result, you have proof of due diligence.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Let's say for example, a person asks you to come out and service their built in BBQ. You notice no air flow ventilation.

If the client refuses to add the air flow you tell them you cannot service it, red tag it and take a picture. That way, if there is a gas leak and injuries result, you have proof of due diligence.
Red Tag? unless you are the AHJ you can't red tag anything.
All you can do is say it's unsafe and you will not work on it, you can explain why and thats it. Happens all the time.
I did work at a school where the Principal who they made a movie about, used to shut off the fire alarm and chain the exit doors. All I could do is document what I saw,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Red Tag? unless you are the AHJ you can't red tag anything.
All you can do is say it's unsafe and you will not work on it, you can explain why and thats it. Happens all the time.
I did work at a school where the Principal who they made a movie about, used to shut off the fire alarm and chain the exit doors. All I could do is document what I saw,
Of course I can red tag it. I'm not talking about a project under permit or shutting a job down. If I have specifically been hired to inspect, repair and bring up to code and the client refuses then damn straight I'm going to throw a red tag on it and take a picture.

That doesn't mean that the homeowner won't remove it the minute I leave and call someone else.

I at least have documentation so if the next guy comes in, botches the job and there is liability involved I have covered my butt.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Of course I can red tag it. I'm not talking about a project under permit or shutting a job down. If I have specifically been hired to inspect, repair and bring up to code and the client refuses then damn straight I'm going to throw a red tag on it and take a picture.

That doesn't mean that the homeowner won't remove it the minute I leave and call someone else.

I at least have documentation so if the next guy comes in, botches the job and there is liability involved I have covered my butt.
Here a red tag means the city shut it down, so thats different
Yep all you can do is document it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here a red tag means the city shut it down, so thats different
Yep all you can do is document it.
Yes, that is what it means here as well. An entire job site can be shut down. Not a great thing to happen and I've seen it happen.

However, here (Florida) it also means I can red tag something that is not to code. Technically, it means the homeowner is not supposed to remove it until remedied.

When it becomes a "he said, she said" documentation is the best friend you could ever have. :geek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
My housekeepers can carry red tags as well. Means nothing.

Mike.
___

Your housekeepers can carry red tags all they want. What are they going to red tag? Dust and dirt? Is their license on the line? What about their liability insurance? Is that on the line? What exactly are they licensed to do? Inspect a deck? Check the roofing? Make sure electrical is correct?

If they were hired to clean this house and fell down the stairs that was covered with a mat and suffered grave injury? The last person on the job, licensed, should cover their ass lest they be involved in a lawsuit. I guarantee you the insurance company is going to look to mitigate damages.

Folks who don't cover their asses are going to look like a fish out of water wondering what the hell hit them.

But hey. Play willy nilly with this stuff and find yourself gobsmacked one day. Makes no difference to me.

·
GC/carpenter
43,611 Posts
Every job I'm on I'm licensed for all the trades and I see many code violations. I'm not responsible unless

1) I created the violation
2) I am being paid to fix it

Otherwise I would be red tagging every job because virtually every job has some violation.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
44 Posts
Every job I'm on I'm licensed for all the trades and I see many code violations. I'm not responsible unless

1) I created the violation
2) I am being paid to fix it

Otherwise I would be red tagging every job because virtually every job has some violation.

Mike.
___
My particular trade is gas and fire. So, yes I do have the responsibility to red tag a dangerous situation. I don't red tag outside of my field.

The OP was very specific about a problem he was consulted on to provide a quote to fix.

In my area (so maybe this is just specific to my location) if something goes wrong every person who touched the product gets sued.

I sold a gas built in grill, brand new in the box unopened. I was included in a lawsuit a few years later because the person who built the cabinets didn't add ventilation, there was a gas leak and the access doors blew open. The person standing in front of it was severely burned.

An investigation revealed a flaw with the manufacturing of the grill which had nothing to do with the gas leak or lack of ventilation. So, I was deemed partially responsible and my insurance company paid out. They couldn't go after the manufacturer because they had sold their brand to another company.

Another company I know of serviced a gas grill. Just replaced the lights in them. His company was held responsible for the burning down of a condo because he did not advise the association that the grill lacked ventilation and serviced it anyway. Heck, maybe he did but he lacked the documentation to prove it. He should have red tagged it.

How about checking a fireplace, going up into the attic and finding the venting stops and is wide open mid attic. Never finished and the homeowner has been using it. . Called us because they don't like the odor when they run their fireplace. Passed inspection on new construction. I could go on and on as I'm sure many here could.

So, to me, when someone is specifically asked about a dangerous situation and it is within their specialty/trade documentation is a key aspect to CYA.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
My particular trade is gas and fire. So, yes I do have the responsibility to red tag a dangerous situation. I don't red tag outside of my field.

The OP was very specific about a problem he was consulted on to provide a quote to fix.

In my area (so maybe this is just specific to my location) if something goes wrong every person who touched the product gets sued.

I sold a gas built in grill, brand new in the box unopened. I was included in a lawsuit a few years later because the person who built the cabinets didn't add ventilation, there was a gas leak and the access doors blew open. The person standing in front of it was severely burned.

An investigation revealed a flaw with the manufacturing of the grill which had nothing to do with the gas leak or lack of ventilation. So, I was deemed partially responsible and my insurance company paid out. They couldn't go after the manufacturer because they had sold their brand to another company.

Another company I know of serviced a gas grill. Just replaced the lights in them. His company was held responsible for the burning down of a condo because he did not advise the association that the grill lacked ventilation and serviced it anyway. Heck, maybe he did but he lacked the documentation to prove it. He should have red tagged it.

How about checking a fireplace, going up into the attic and finding the venting stops and is wide open mid attic. Never finished and the homeowner has been using it. . Called us because they don't like the odor when they run their fireplace. Passed inspection on new construction. I could go on and on as I'm sure many here could.

So, to me, when someone is specifically asked about a dangerous situation and it is within their specialty/trade documentation is a key aspect to CYA.
What we are saying is your "red tagging " means nothing, its up to homeowners to wise up and fix it. The instance I wrote about before we eventually notified the Fire Dept about it, they already knew it but unless they were actually in the building while the system was shutoff nothing could be done. All the red tags in the world meant nothing. At this school they had guards at the gates and would notify other guards in the school that the FD was coming, they would delay them as long as possible at the gate until the alarm was back on.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Ok, you asked for ideas, you didn’t specify that they had to be good . using euro cabinet door hinges you can get rid of the flap hold back and wouldn’t have to bend over to open the door if you added a toe lift hook. Second stupid idea is replace door with a barn door with the floor flap attached, make a box for the table to sit on that is in the way and then by sliding the door open the flap would be stowed under the table. Yes nothing is to code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mesilla Valleys idea has officially been red tagged! His brain has been lobotmized so no more out of the box ideas will be forthcoming and he has joined the witness protection program so that angry home owners won’t be able to find him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GC/carpenter
43,611 Posts
Anything I touch I leave safe or I don't touch it.

I'd be more concerned with leaving something unsafe with a note on it saying I knew it was unsafe, but left it anyway. The liability is even worse.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why don’t you red tag your nose up a gorilla’s arse. Wtf is your point

Mike
My point was made clear in my posts. How to cover yourself/company from potential liability.

It was advise based upon my experiences.

I personally don't care it the tag is removed the minute I leave. What I do care about is that I've done my due diligence so I can keep my licenses and continue to be insured. My business and employees come first.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
So what state are you in mr. reg tag that you practice this horse chit. As Mike stated, every job has a violation somewhere. Let us know where your perfect world is so we can keep up w/the tags.....

Mikr

·
Registered
44 Posts
So what state are you in mr. reg tag that you practice this horse chit. As Mike stated, every job has a violation somewhere. Let us know where your perfect world is so we can keep up w/the tags.....

Mikr
My state is Florida and my industry is fire and gas. I couldn't care less about other violations, just the ones I have liability for.

·
GC/carpenter
43,611 Posts
Not if you've not been granted authorization to fix it.
I'm not responsible for anything I don't touch. If they don't grant me authorization to make everything I touch safe then I don't take the job. A good experienced contractor knows when to walk.

What about that don't you understand?

Mike.
___

41 - 60 of 67 Posts