Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for bulk 2", 2.5" #8 torx heads only. Other then simpson and grk. Jon Man what that supplier you sent a while ago. The one you have to call because there dam web pages if infinite. I got a few miles of ipe to burn and need bulk.

Thanks City;)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fasco 1 866 327 2633

8 x 2 1/2 ''torx drive ,2000 count, delivered $ 132.56

j.
there the kind of numbers i'm looking for. .. I just sent east teak for package to get pricing on ipe tiles. I recall you use them? Should i be name dropping to anyone? We usually make our own because there structural, modular and 4x4 -/+ i got a job to lay 800sf right on fiberglass roof deck.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Defiantly say Hi to the George for me. We have become friends after all the years. I have been over there several times while on the way to the night race .

J.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,386 Posts
I just bought some of their screws for a 5/4 ipe deck, good pricing & fast service.

The #8 smartbit did not make a big enough pilot hole & we were snapping screws/bits left & right. The screws were #8x2 1/2". Had to use 9/64th bit then follow with smartbit for the countersink, pita.

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
I just bought some of their screws for a 5/4 ipe deck, good pricing & fast service.

The #8 smartbit did not make a big enough pilot hole & we were snapping screws/bits left & right. The screws were #8x2 1/2". Had to use 9/64th bit then follow with smartbit for the countersink, pita.
I have heard the smart bit was a giant pia

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

the smart bit is #8. that sucks. #8 should #* across the board. John do you have this issue? I just ordered 6000pcs. The guys said hi J.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Stainless steel altogether is soft. Heat can build up in the center of the screw where the threads stop. I practice a small stall in the power when running them in. This only takes a sec or so and allows the screw to cool down , that's all that is needed to keep it from snapping.

I tried the " smart Bit " years ago. That thing is not for Me, too slow. I have the Guys trained to work in tandem with the pre drill and running the screws in. The Smart tool clogs up and generally does not fit in the program.

They are a great bunch over at East Teak. The change from Advantage was dramatic and very positive.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stainless steel altogether is soft. Heat can build up in the center of the screw where the threads stop. I practice a small stall in the power when running them in. This only takes a sec or so and allows the screw to cool down , that's all that is needed to keep it from snapping.

I tried the " smart Bit " years ago. That thing is not for Me, too slow. I have the Guys trained to work in tandem with the pre drill and running the screws in. The Smart tool clogs up and generally does not fit in the program.

They are a great bunch over at East Teak. The change from Advantage was dramatic and very positive.

I know about it being softer and pause while driving. Still break one once in a while. A side note: Are you using impact driver or regular drill? and I / we do break one here and there. So if your installing with without plugs what are using for to pre drill allow room for the taper part of the trim head to sink just below the surface?

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I have been a Makita impact user for 15 years or so.

5/32'' bit for 7- trim head screws. I don't use 8- screws to install decking but You get the idea.
J.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been a Makita impact user for 15 years or so.

5/32'' bit for 7- trim head screws. I don't use 8- screws to install decking but You get the idea.
J.
I got it and clearly remember buying #7 and using #8 smart bit for face screwing. I just ran out of the bulk buy I got a cpl of years ago and realized the #7 and smart bit are just dandy.

J. Thanks again. also left you a vc to thank you for hook up w/ Fasco. They swapped out the #8 for #7 and asked me if I could just kindly return the box. I said do you want a CC for the new order and they no it's ok. I said take in case it takes a week or so to get to UPS. Gotta love the honor system. I'm a new customer for life. I sent over a list of everything I use for off brand stuff that's were they shine.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Good Show Yanni !!!

Fasco has some amazing prices, good service, great product, and dead on delivery .

Sometimes I think that what They are doing would have been considered breaking trade not that many years ago. The outfit would have been black balled for not going through the normal chain.

But its a different world now. Same with East Teak and others that sell directly to anyone for any size order. It's good for us for sure anyway.

Now if Moisture Shield and others would do the same thing We would be sitting pretty. The more times that material changes hands the greater chance of damage from the $ 8 an hour guy and his fork lift.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts