Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody used this? I can't find any first hand accounts on-line. It seems like it would bend, but they say it doesn't. It seems like an easier way than installing cable, but I haven't done either and I have to do one for a client. Any comments or advice?

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Cable is about as easy as it gets. And quick once you have a couple jigs made.

Horizontal rods? How do you get them into a long run? If all individual pieces at each section, that would be a nightmare to keep them even and level.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Punching above his weight
10,727 Posts
I'm pretty stupid, so I'm having a hard time imagining how you'd "capture" them at the ends, unless there's some kind of collet that you slip over them then screw into place once you've got it where you want it, but that also sounds kind of annoying.

I second Pounder's request for specs/pics.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
That's pretty cool. Not sure if it's faster than Feeney cable rail.

Faster than the ones that use the end collects and such.

I may have to look into those though. Seems like a nice system. Probably a lot more expensive than cable I would assume.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve worked with viewrail. Interior and exterior. Used 2x4 walnut inside and Ipe outside for the top rail. Added a groove on the underside for LED rope lighting. Posts were 1/4” steel 2x2 powder-coated flat black with large 1/4” steel mounting plates - very robust! Looks absolutely stunning. This was retrofitted to a 1958 mid-century modern home designed by Albert Orin Bumgadner in Seattle (AOB was an icon back in the day). The house itself was overhanging a lush wild ravine dense with native flowers, plants and trees - totally private. The door was a one-off custom carved 4x10’ totem by a renowned local Native American artist.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This links directly to SS rod railing. SS rods don’t require constant tensioning cables do. One caveat; kids like to climb up horizontal anything, some fall with all the risk that involves. Also, bent rods may be unsalvageable, which can be expensive down the road. So, great for those with no kids, drunks or jackasses to be concerned about.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
This links directly to SS rod railing. SS rods don’t require constant tensioning cables do. One caveat; kids like to climb up horizontal anything, some fall with all the risk that involves. Also, bent rods may be unsalvageable, which can be expensive down the road. So, great for those with no kids, drunks or jackasses to be concerned about.

The Feeney I've installed uses a decent grade of stainless and hasn't needed any tensioning in 3 years.

Also I don't concern myself with drunks. Nothing I build is drunk proof.

Actually had a customer ask me that once. I said I don't build drunk proof decks no more than General Motors builds drunk proof cars.

Mike.
___

·
Punching above his weight
10,727 Posts
I kind of like the phrase as a stand in for general human stupidity.

I was building a railing for a lofted bedroom with about a 12 foot drop into the living room below. Boss asked me if it was tight. I said it's tight. Then he said, "You saw the homeowner, right[big guy]? I want you to picture him, drunk, watching the Giants game this Sunday. Now I want you to picture him enraged by the score, charging that railing, leading with his shoulder, and crashing his full weight into the weakest point. Will it hold?"

The mental image I concocted was so good that I still picture that drunken wrecking ball of a man whenever I build railings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts