Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Ask your local sheet metal (HVAC, etc.) company. They get asked this question, and if they don't also do it, they know the folks who can do doors, hoods, and other high-end work. My experience, anyway.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Convert an old sub-zero door????????????;)

Like an interior door or exterior. I would think a sheet metal shop could easily face an existing door or new slab?

I had them make me a SS face for the side of an exposed refer that was just SS front. (put on with thin magnets)

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
This thread got me thinking.......

I love natural wood, the appearance , the character of it....in almost every aspect of architecture .....

But what I really like, which may sound odd coming from me, is a commercial kitchen- stainless steel and maybe some black faced appliances,,,,,I could veneer the FF's and SP's with SS , I would just be concerned with the but joints....if it would look good/professional .....:blink:

I'm thinking that you could buy sheets of SS and have them cut and braked , a full bend wrap to cover the face and edging with an additional 1/4" for the back , would you do the backs in SS....:blink:

I'm just wondering that once you open the edges (the bends) to nest the panel in - would they close back up when clamped......and what gauge would be easiest to work with ......:blink:

Any thoughts.... :blink:

B,

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,880 Posts
Ya, just buy them from someone who has all that stuff.

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
Not to use a dirty word, but Ikea used to sell SS cabinet doors and drawer faces. SS on the front and edges and black veneer on the back side. They used very thin guage magnetic steel. I've got one in my kitchen and it's not bad looking.

If Ikea makes them I am sure they are available elsewhere.

Edit: And here they are. http://www.danver.com/default.aspx

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Formica Deco Metal Laminate Specs

If the need is really there for fabricated sheet doors... Look up Stainless steel fabricicators or check into local Commercial Bar/Kitchen Supply companies. Most of those either do fab or can get to the people who can fab. That chit costs money vs a real metal laminate applied to a slab door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts