Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for everyone :thumbup:

I have a Customer that is Buying some used SS Dump truck beds
they are painted and he wants to clean the paint off and leave them
the SS

We are assuming that there are not sanded for the paint to etch to
as spots are peeling off and there is no profile under the paint.

Think its just a good coat of Enamel on it? or Polyurethane paint.

Any abrasive is out as we do not want any etch SS

So I know Soda Might do the trick, what about Walnut shells?

looking for a media that might be fast at ripping it off as time is money. soda will be slow

Thanks

Jim

·
Bob
512 Posts
If there is no profile the first thing I would do is hit it with a turbo nozzle mounted on a pressure washer of minimum 4000 psi to knock-off the easy stuff. To the remaining paint slather on commercial grade paint remover till the coatings bubble up and start to lift. Hit it again with the PW. Apply heat to degrade any remaining tough spots, repeat with the remover and PW. I recently stripped the topside paint off of an aluminum boat with this method. The substrate was mill smooth and the client wanted to leave the boat bare and shiny so no abrasive was considered. Went pretty fast too.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Dale's method is good if you have access to a PW. If you go with shells you may have to but a whole skid for $800. or so. I go with what you can get a few bags at a time of locally. The shell I used before came from Composition materials in Ca. 800-262-7763 about $17. per plus shipping.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glen
Checked with over four co about shells
Time it gets to me with shipping the cheapest one was a 40 bag pallet at 1600 with shipping.
Is the reason I don't offer shells. If some one really wants it there going to by me a pallet. Lol.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Yeah I won't stock them either. I would loose any profit to the bags that were not used. If any one has to have them I would also sell them the whole skid too. They only want about $700 for the shells and $185 to ship to Pa from Ca. Can't be $1,200 more to get to New England? Oh well, soda does pretty much the same thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts