Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Crap. I just used some of those this past month. 304 stainless. If you can find 316 stainless they are better, but cost more. Grip Rite screws are sold by out local Ace Hardware/ lumber yard. The other place I go sells simpson nails. They are 316 and almost cost twice as much.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I've used the Grip-Rite SS screws pretty extensively around here with close proximity to the ocean and, at 4 years, they look good. I've backed some out after a few years to check the full screw. I think their exterior screws are 305 SS.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've been to scrapyards that have a price listed for "nonmagnetic stainless." They do that to eliminate any argument or hassle over alloys like this or plated stuff. It may well be some kind of stainless steel, but if a magnet sticks they are throwing it in with the mixed iron.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Neat, never knew that. i always thought steel was steel, add a couple other stuffs to make it stainless but it was still steel. 2 different types of SS, know I now.
There's much more than just two though. Of course, there might just only be two types for nails and screws.

I had no idea there were lots more until I was working at a place that the gc was adamant about getting "food grade" stainless when talking with the fabricator. Pretty wild what we have done with metals.

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=470

1 - 20 of 22 Posts