Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to build pergolas for a client
it will be ongoing for over a year, building one after the other for new home owners .

the previous contractor who mas making these ( I`m replacing them)
stained them as he went, right away.( its a dark " Early American " looking color)

these are made of 6x6 posts in the ground , 4x12 ledgers , and 4x8 beams on them , and 2x4`s on those, .

did this contractor know something I don`t?

is there a stain that will hold up through the drying out process of P.T.?
or is it still the best ( or only) way to stain it 4-6 weeks down the line?

if I`m going to be around your a year or so , I don`t want to see the first ones I put up starting to break down

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Paint place said " Cabot SPF " has a product that they say you can put on right away. it is water based.
have any of you used it?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,937 Posts
It's a tradeoff. If you wait until the wood is thoroughly dried, the stain will absorb better--but by then, the cracking, checking and warping has already begun.

Apply while damp, and you will prevent much of that early damage. But since it won't soak in as well, it will need a re-coat sooner.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,580 Posts
Even letting the wood dry for a couple months, you don't get more than a year or two with Cabot SPF around here. I've worked with it, and early fails are common.

I haven't used TWP100, but at least one deck pro on here swears by it (and swears at all other stains). He stains after a few days drying. I can't walk into a store around here to try it, but it's available on the internet, and you may be able to get it where you are. It doesn't comply with VOC in some states (I'd say that's probably a plus).

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Nothing you put on wet PT will last long in the direct sun. Expect to re-stain every 1 1/2 - 2 years. It's just the nature of the beast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts