Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Pro
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a better way to stain fibreglass. I've done the Sikkens Cetol 1-2-3, but it takes forever to dry and doesn't really look that good when they're done. I haven't tried gel stain, but don't imagine that would look all that great either.

I've thought about toning - mixing some stain into a lacquer and coating until I get the right color. This works on wood, but not sure if it would work on fibreglass, and I don't want the finish to look like paint when it's done.

The first time I tried staining a f/g door, I used a wiping stain. Of course, it didn't work, but it did lay a light base color that might work if I go over with toning lacquer.

What do you guys think? Is there a better way? Faster way?

And while i'm on the subject, why do people even use fibreglass for front doors when wood is so much nicer? Maybe the fibreglass doors themselves are cheaper, but I have to charge a bundle to do them so I don't imagine they'd actually cost a HO less in the end, maybe more even.

·
Pro
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RCP! I wasn't aware Old Masters had a gel stain. My paint distributor carries old masters, and i've used a lot of their products, but not their gel stains. I'll have to try that on my next door.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts