Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The building is an old log cabin, the ceiling is rough sawn. When reroofed several boards were replaced, now we need to stain them. These are individual boards, not the whole ceiling, they are on log rafters a 4/12 pitch.

We should paint the gaps between the boards but that requires spraying. An airless seems gross overkill, probably only 2 quarts worth of stain. An HVLP sprayer might work but how do I spray up-side-down?

Any great ideas from the experienced?

·
Pro
435 Posts
This is going to sound weird as heck to most folks... but I have on a couple of occasions sprayed stain through a pump style garden sprayer with a fan tip.

Just sayin' :D

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
A pressure pot but if it's that small of an area why can't you brush it? Couldn't you have stained it before install?

·
Pro
435 Posts
A cheap pressure pot rig... you can spray at any angle
Speaking of that...

Had a customer I was doing an insurance job with. He had actually purchased one of those "Paint Zooms" you see on the infomercials for $100 or so. I asked him about how it does so he loads it up and hands it to me to spray a few doors out. I was surprised at how the thing actually performed. Clean up on it was a snap too. It has me thinking of getting one just for the jobs that are too small to break out the Titan on.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A pressure pot or airless(paint pump).You can rent the airless sprayers at any paint or rental store.
I have an airless, it seems to be overkill.

I have an hvlp, it's gravity fed so won't work up side down.

The paint pot looks like it should do. I presume it connects to a regular air compressor, or does it work with an hvlp (turbine) compressor?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
A regular air compressor.. if your doing a large area, you'd need a big compresor

·
Registered
422 Posts
The hvlp will spray upside down using the 3 m disposable spray cups.
Nicko

1 - 11 of 11 Posts