Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a bind trying to find a comparable wood species and stain to finish off newel caps from a very old handrail/spindle set up relocated from an old church. The detail trim is egg and dart (1/2" 3/8") quarter round which is nearly impossible to find and the only type I've located is "ASPEN" species. I believe I'm working with the rest of the unit being FIR (with a slight reddish orange tint when given a natural stain and tung rubbed finish), so Oak might work as a reasonable comparison wood for the pyramid style newel caps. .....my question is 2-fold:

Does anybody know where I can find OAK egg and dart trim in that size?

Anybody have experience in using Aspen and know if it's an obvious stain difference from oak or fir?

Thanks in advance.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
If there was ever a time for a picture it would have to be this thread.

Sounds like an interesting subject though.

You probably can't post a picture using the tools supplied here because of your post count, but if you know how to use something like Photobucket or the like I think you can get it posted.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I know what you are talking about, WR. I haven't seen many options of wood species for that profile. You could have something made. Or, get a close stain match to the "fir" and sneak-up on the final color with a toner coat(s). You may have a difficult time anyway even with fir if you are just trying to do a simple stain and clear coat.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Size

Jerremy,
Van ****'s carries this "pictured" but it is a 1-5/8" profile, Ornamental Moldings has the exact size he was looking for ,ie; Link.

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
I just received my latest copy of Van ****'s Restorers magazine...lots of cool stuff in there including 'old' trim styles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts