Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hav a window configuration of 3x3. The extension jambs are not anywhere close to alignment in some places. As far as plane goes, some about 1/2" off but most are flush. Up and down, side to side acceptable and workable.

The big opening is a problem also. Extension jamb on one side is 1" narrower than the other. If it was my place, I'd rip the windows apart but I can't. They only want forward progress.

Outside is already sided. Big windows too. Opening is 11' x 20'

is there any possible way to make this look good? I can't taper some extension jamb extensions. This is going to look like crap.

Sorry I can't post any pics yet.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Always a way to make it look pretty, ext jams and wide mull casing between the units come to mind, but a picture is worth 1000 words. GMOD.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Always a way to make it look pretty, ext jams and wide mull casing between the units come to mind, but a picture is worth 1000 words. GMOD.
OK, I can't stand it anymore. Maybe I am dumb but what the heck does this stand for?

It's driving me nuts every time I see it. :wacko:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
OK, I can't stand it anymore. Maybe I am dumb but what the heck does this stand for?

It's driving me nuts every time I see it. :wacko:

Bert, come on:laughing::laughing: GENECARP THE NEW MODERATOR OF CT, its an EGO THING:laughing:.GMOD

ALSO IT KIND OF FUNNY, BECAUSE IF YOU DROP THE M, WHAT DO YOU GET------GmOD

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Doesn't it suck following those framers:laughing::laughing::laughing:?

11'x 20' opening?? Damn that's huge:w00t: If it's 20' tall, you probably wouldn't be able to see if it's off 1/2"

gotta have a pic

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
I hav a window configuration of 3x3. The extension jambs are not anywhere close to alignment in some places. As far as plane goes, some about 1/2" off but most are flush. Up and down, side to side acceptable and workable.

The big opening is a problem also. Extension jamb on one side is 1" narrower than the other. If it was my place, I'd rip the windows apart but I can't. They only want forward progress.

Outside is already sided. Big windows too. Opening is 11' x 20'

is there any possible way to make this look good? I can't taper some extension jamb extensions. This is going to look like crap.

Sorry I can't post any pics yet.
If some of the windows are operable, you may be able to open them and use clamps to pull a window that is not properly seated in the framing. If the windows are foamed in, the foam bead might need to be cut away to free up the window jamb. I use deep jaw clamps and blocks of wood to protect the window from marring, etc. Won't get it perfect, but splitting the difference is better than nothing.

Regards,

Bass

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, this ones a beaut. Non operating windows,
screwed into the steel frame, no foam. I asked if we were putting any foam in and they said "no foam in any of the windows"

extension jambs came with unit. Right now I am taking the close ones and gently belt sanding it flush. The big gaps I am putting tapered extension jambs. I am going to make it look as pretty as possible.

Big damn window, yes. It's 10' off the floor to boot.

I'll see what I can do about pictures. Don't know how to post from my iPhone.

Yeah, framers suck!

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Sounds like what you are doing is the best route anyway.
Have had to make my fair share of tapered jambs before.

Sometimes you can hammer the drywall edge near the casing to get the trim to lay flat on a shy jamb (HINT: don't go beyond the outer edge of the casing )

If they were operators, you could also use a clamp to pull the window in and renail thru the jamb to get it where you want it but I see they don't open.

Good luck and as Timless said "Damn framers"

So now you know :thumbsup:

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
I've got this PC 3"x21" belt sander which when paired with a 60 or 80 grit belt will devour the wood in quick order. It's still tedious but manageable.

pictures sure would help

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I've gone through several sets of planer blades "faking in" extension jambs on multiple unit window walls. Lots of good tricks will come to you as you go along. Sometimes you have to empty the magic hat on them.:laughing:

Attachments

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Ganged windows are always tough...I especially hate ganged skylights.

You didn't mention if the trim is painted. From your post I'm assuming not...if painted, screw it let the painters fix the mess:w00t:

Looking forward to the pics!

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I made it through that mess. Not too bad after I tweaked things here and there. I have one bad part I will need to work on, but overall it's decent. I feel like I wasted a whole day. One window took all day. 3 extension jambs and 3 pieces of casing. One big ass window though as you can see.

Sorry, all I have is my iPhone for pics and it's trashed. Not a very good inside camera.

You can see where I have these mullions coming together and the extension jambs in these areas are messed up.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Might want to consider changing your username to Jamberman.:whistling

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Thank god for the I-phone then. Looks good in that picture.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts