Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What Stabila Level To Buy?

Going to be adding some stabila levels on shopping list. How are the various models that they offer? Are they all good, or only the higher end models? They make the 70 and 80 series that are pretty affordable, but am skeptical that they live up to the name.

I see the 196 series seems to be the better product and plan on picking up the 59" version, but am wondering if the lower priced models are worthwhile for some other sizes or should I just buy them one at a time as I have the funds

The will be used for a variety of purposes: framing, setting tubs, cabinets, doors, windows, tile, etc.

·
Head Bottle Washer
48 Posts
I have the 80 A 2M. Which is magnetic. Good for steel studs as well as wood. What ever Stabila you choose, it will be a good choice.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The 196's are nice levels. I bought the Black series whilst they were out and they really only come out for interior work.

That black series is nice bc. Are they only available overseas? I still have a 78"empire that I am about to replace with a stabila

I also have the 196's they have all been great. I had a customer that wanted to help me clean up my tools one day. He was carrying my 4'er down the steps and dropped it. I almost cryed:laughing: It did a few somersallts and finally hit the bottom. It is still true!:thumbup:

If I'm on a muddy site though I will bring out my craftsman and empires.

Dave

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
dkillianjr said:
That black series is nice bc. Are they only available overseas? I still have a 78"empire that I am about to replace with a stabila I also have the 196's they have all been great. I had a customer that wanted to help me clean up my tools one day. He was carrying my 4'er down the steps and dropped it. I almost cryed:laughing: It did a few somersallts and finally hit the bottom. It is still true!:thumbup: If I'm on a muddy site though I will bring out my craftsman and empires. Dave
You can get them in the US. Just not sure how many left.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
philcav7 said:
I already looked and didn't find any... Only a couple of links to a sold out page. I did however find a site with great prices on the regular 196 series. If you come across any 72's let me know.
Yeah I doubt you will have much luck with the blacks. I bought them when they were released and they were hard to get. I think you can get the 24" ones still. But kind of pointless if you don't have the set of 4

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
One of the most useful features of my 196’s is the removable ends. I don’t know if all their models do that.

The 196's are nice levels. I bought the Black series whilst they were out and they really only come out for interior work.

You only bring them out for interior work because they get F’ing hot outside in the sun :laughing:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I already looked and didn't find any... Only a couple of links to a sold out page.

I did however find a site with great prices on the regular 196 series.

If you come across any 72's let me know.
I'm striking out too! If I would happen to come across a 72 I'll shoot you a PM.

Dave

·
Registered
902 Posts
We've got a full set of Stabilas and a full set of Sola Levels...after our latest new home build, every single time anyone on the crew grabs a level, they come with the Sola...seriously, they are incredibly accurate and easy to read...even in low light in a basement finishing job the vials glow in low light, making it easy to read. Lifetime accuracy warranty too!

·
Registered
190 Posts
We have a 4' R-Beam. First thing you think when you grab it is, man this thing is fat. Fat doesn't have to be a bad thing, and my hands are pretty small. It will stay staining on its edge so you can use both hands to move something and screw it or whatever. I have one major grievance. the two plumb bubbles are not at the two ends, one is on one end and the other is in the middle by the level bubble. So you can guess how it goes, every time you grab it it is the wrong way. I can understand the middle bubble kinda but maybe they should have put a third bubble on it.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
We've got a full set of Stabilas and a full set of Sola Levels...after our latest new home build, every single time anyone on the crew grabs a level, they come with the Sola...seriously, they are incredibly accurate and easy to read...even in low light in a basement finishing job the vials glow in low light, making it easy to read. Lifetime accuracy warranty too!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

A number of years ago,(think it was in Tools Of The Trade) a comparison was made of levels. The Sola took the prize even over stabila (obviously a great level). There was some nuance of the Sola that beat Stabila. Also,some trivia, Sola is the oldest and largest level maker in the world,they just were not introduced to U.S. market until recently. I also believe they are a tad less expensive than Stabila.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts