Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I did mine with Windows 7. Big difference. I also did a fresh OS install at the same time.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,
I am aware that XP support is coming to and end in April of this year. I like the software I have now and I like XP and have never had any issues. The problem (for me anyways) I am running software that I do not want to have to spend a fortune just to keep it updated with windows. The other issue is my plot printers. I can go up to windows 7 but my cad program won't run properly on it.

So, I bought a refurbished computer and had them add some memory and a better graphics card. This computer has been striped clean of nuisance software and is being used as a dedicated CAD/design and office computer- nothing else!, no internet - other than using it on my network to send to my plot printers or my other computer. Other than that ,it is not going to be utilizing the internet.

I want to update the hard drive to a 250 gig and was leaning towards the SSD after reading into it,,,,I just was wondering if I may have some issues because I will be running windows xp pro (32) bit....

My computer tech man told me he could ghost my current hard drive so I don't have to reinstall everything ;which takes up to 4 hours if I have to reinstall all the software I have.

He was telling me that it will be faster for opening programs but I may not notice any difference as far as running programs,renderings /cad and graphics. He also said that with Windows XP pro it will constantly be using one sector of the SSD drive during certain applications using the drive,,,,,I didn't quite understand him , sort of , but it's still not clear to me...:blink:

Any thoughts, suggestions.....:blink:

Thanks,:thumbsup:

B,

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
A fresh install will make a bigger difference than the SSD, I wouldn't ghost unless that computer was as clean as a whistle.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind, Brian, is that while standard hard drives have become really reliable for years at a time, SSD is still relatively new and subject to a higher/earlier failure rate.

Under the right circumstances there can be compelling reasons to go with SSD, but for most folks that's not the case. As much as I like the concept, I won't be jumping into it until it's had a few more years to mature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts