Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the second time something has chewed through the wires under the hood of one of our trucks.

This was the first time.

Anyone have some advice on how to stop it? Can't park somewhere else because its a parking lot with assigned spots. Not positive, but there are a lot of squirrels in the area and we found acorns the first time so thats what we are assuming is causing the damage.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
This has happen to me before.

option #1 moth balls work believe it or not.
( put some in a nylon stocking )

option #2 fabric softener sheets work also
( keep away from manifolds & heat )

·
Registered
106 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think its squirrels, I think it might be mice. Set a few mouse traps at night under the hood and around the truck and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'll second the moth balls. Work up a wire basket or a small mesh laundry bag. They will go away but may come back in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mothballs are a carcinogen. Poison to humans and the smell can linger. Seems to be a big problem this year. I wonder if it has something to do with the weather. My van had a week of repairs with a different problem daily depending on what they chewed up. I actually had to get two cats. I'm not a big fan of cats but two barn cats and no more squirrels. Ann Arbor has a program called barn buddies. Free cats for your barn. Great program.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,638 Posts
Gray squirrels, red squirrels, chipmunks, rats, and mice will do this. Of those red squirrels and rats would be the two worst offenders. Mothballs, unless you want to stand guard with a shotgun.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
We had some rats getting into some of the truck wiring here. We put rat poison blocks under the hood.

IIRC, it was this. (<--link)

FWIW, we had heard :rolleyes:...that rats/mice wouldn't chew through copper or brass mesh. Not true. Seems like one of the guys also tried SS mesh, and it didn't work either. Now, granted, our "mesh" was homemade out of old screen wires and it didn't fit tight to the wiring harness, it was more of a guard of sorts, so maybe that's why.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Fabric softeners don't work,I had a whole box in my car and the bastid used it for his nest!!

It was a. Good smelling nest though!!

I trapped that bastid!!!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Rats just got into my boat. Chewed up some wires. SOB's I trapped them and then had babies crawling around looking for ma n pa.

Luckily I can repair what they chewed up. I'll try the mothballs. And definitely going to order some baits.

14 yrs here and never had a problem.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Sit out with a high powered pellet rifle and blast several of them. The remaining ones will scatter.

Might not be a great idea in NJ though, even slingshots are illegal there.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
They'll chew the heads off of stainless steel nails, some little mesh doesn't have a chance.
Somebody was asking how to remove those lead anchors with a drive pin - the mushroom masonry anchors ... Drills were suggested, but the pin is stainless. I know for a fact they will chew up lead pipe boots, they love them.

Now I have the final solution. Squirrels will chew through lead and stainless. Perfect for the drive pin anchors! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Dutch cleanser keeps the otters from storing dead crab in my anchor locker.
Plastic tub of it. Guess they don't like the smell.
Dead crab doesn't seem to bother them though

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
How high can rats jump. Repaired the wires in my boat. Going to park it back where it was. Setting traps in compartments.

My mistake may have been that lumber I leaned on the boat last time. Basically making a walking plank for them. :wallbash:

That won't happen again.:no:

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
How high can rats jump. Repaired the wires in my boat. Going to park it back where it was. Setting traps in compartments.

My mistake may have been that lumber I leaned on the boat last time. Basically making a walking plank for them. :wallbash:

That won't happen again.:no:
MY BOAT!!! :censored: :2guns:

Nobody messes with my boat ...

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
rats get my vote, they have to knaw all the time, their front teeth are always growing, if they do not knaw the teeth get to long

1 - 20 of 28 Posts