Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good customer wants me to replace a little piece of vinyl soffit. Easy enough. Only catch is I saw a squirrel peaking out at me. I think he lives there. What's my move? Quadruple the price and get an exterminator?

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
Don't mess with it until the problem has been cleared. There are tons of companies that specialize in the humane removal of critters. They need to be the first in. It's not time for the contractor quite yet.

Also, expect some issues with insulation/smell, and other subsurface damage in all the areas where they might have been. If it's just in the soffits, then the client got lucky, but it's doubtful.

Keep us up to date. My last similar one involved racoons. Those are some large turds!:laughing:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was doing a soffit job once and wish I had called an exterminator to trap a squirrel.
It was a big house with large soffits, we were doing the old house and tying in a new addition, and the bugger climbed in the open end of the soffit system and ran around driving the homeowner nuts.
I popped a few panels out in a few spots and hoped it would leave. Nope, wound up removing a carcass a few days later to the horror of the h/o.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,124 Posts
A good customer wants me to replace a little piece of vinyl soffit. Easy enough. Only catch is I saw a squirrel peaking out at me. I think he lives there. What's my move? Quadruple the price and get an exterminator?
Around here, it's call a licensed animal damage control person. $75 a squirrel.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Pickle and I trapped a chipmunk and squirrel from my attic a couple months back. The squirrel was calm, the chipmunk was crazy once in the cage.

Both have been relocated to different parts of the city, even though the city says you can't do that, what's the point of putting them back into my backyard if they are just going to find their way back in. Give Pickle credit for not allowing me to drop the cage in the pool as I wanted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts