Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a suirrel or squirrels in my attic. Yesterday (Sunday) my central heat quit working.. I had an idea what happened, so I checked the hose on the vacuum switch. Something had been gnawing on it. A trip to Auto Zone and 2.15 later the problem was fixed.
Sound familiar? Someone recently posted this hose costing about 300 bucks ( I think). Luckily, I had this problem once before witht he switch being clogged/hose leaking.
I think it a squirrel, not sure. It could be a rat from the looks of the droppings up there. Whatever it is, it sure makes noise up there running and gnawing. Anyway, any good ways to get this varmint out of my attic?
I have read some on the problems with squirrels. Seems they can be a challenge. I am wondering about a safe way of smoking the damned thing out hoping it being a wild animal, it will vacate when it smells fire/smoke. jI just hope the neighbors do not call the fire department if they see smoke coming out of the ridge vent.

Comments appreciated.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Poor little critter is just trying to stay warm!:laughing:

I have had success with a live trap. They get in the loft area of my shop on occassion and I have baited the trap with shell corn. You can get one at any old fashioned hardware store, if there are any left in your area. I havent seen them at Lowes or HD. Just make sure you if you let him loose that you take him far enough away or he will be right back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some wildlife calls require attic access but we are limited as sometimes there just is not acess so we put radio to chase out racoon or squirrel and use 1 way doors at entrance/exit holes to monitor. If it is mice/rat traps and bait before they burn you out. Most fires caused by rodents this time year. Like MudPad said live trap works good. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Critters are almost impossible to keep out. I've had the same problem. Read up on all the baits, sprays, etc.

So here's a solution that's about as good as any. Put moth balls in the cavity of rafters / overhang. Put them in between the back of the fascia board and where the roof sheathing is pulled back from it at least on my house. Animals don't like strong odors.

During one summer I put too many, a good hand full in about six rafter bays. In a couple of hours I could smell them in the upstairs bedrooms....too much. So I cut back. They will disintegrate in a few months at least in the summer.

Put a small hand full in a stocking or those clothes washer net bags (cheaper) I cut up and stapled together. This is so you can take them in / out of the eaves. You can lay them out in the attic too. Screen areas they can get in too. This worked for me but don't put food / trap out at the same time.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm sorry but you'll have to employ the services of a third party negotiator and enter into arbitration to seek a binding agreement with the squirrel/rat union. The rodent population was here long before you humans and we're sick of being oppressed! The squirrel wars will continue untill we are FREE!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha! It is on now! I saw one of the buggers come down from my tree onto my deck and watched it come across the rail of the deck toward the house about 12' from the entry point I think it is using. It was right at the wall when I opened the door. It ran back up the tree I think. I might add it did not seem to be in a great hurrry. If I do not hear it scampering and or rolling pecans around tonight, maybe I blocked the entry with the squirrel outside

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well earlier this evening I could hear something gnawing/scratching in the ceiling of the backroom off the kitchen. This a washroom/breakfast nook with bi-fold doors for the appliances. It has a flat roof as it, at some point, was the back porch. Whatever it is gets between the ceiling joists. I banged the ceiking with a broom and haven't heard anything yet.

Quiet here in the front bdrm though.

Someone somewhere mentioned fox scent. Maybe I should go down to the university and get some lion (mascot) scent!

I may just figure a way to maybe burn a rack with a little oil on it to see if it will flee.
We have several in the back yard, and I do enjoy watching them sometimes. Anyone know when they have babies?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
A little cup of anti-freeze should make them happy in the short term.

How is it that you have holes large enough for the little buggers to enter? I'm concerned about termites and not giving them a toe-hold, I caulk and paint everything. No way a fuzzy-tailed tree rat would ever get in here.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
A little cup of anti-freeze should make them happy in the short term.

How is it that you have holes large enough for the little buggers to enter? I'm concerned about termites and not giving them a toe-hold, I caulk and paint everything. No way a fuzzy-tailed tree rat would ever get in here.
These patches are from squirrels knawing through the shakes to get in. I'll probably be back there next spring.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Years ago, I put kickers on the flat roof to give it more overhang. For whatever reason, a piece of facia was removed at some point. I may removed it while replacing wood when I putting siding on this summer. Anyway, the piuece of facia that was missing is right in the corner. About 12" back in the corner, there is an opening where the facia coming from the other direction terminated at the rafter tail. I think that ia where it/they entered.
Then there is the one 4x8 sheet pw I took off the front porch. :whistling

I am willing to kill if I have to :2guns:. I just don't know where the dang thing wil die. Could get really smelly.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know I do have a little anti freeze left from topping off the vehicles here. :shifty:

I think I had rather look for a dead smelly varmint than have house burn. I saw where the wire going to the ac compressor had also been gnawed on.

Not sure how a squirrel got inside the unit to gnaw on the tube for the pressure switch.
I say squirrel because I have heard what sounded like pecans being rolled around. If not for that, I would think rat from the droppings. I know I have seen rats in my shop.

·
Atlanta Remodeling
234 Posts
Nothing worse than squirrels in your house.

Here was my situation at a clients house last year. They knew they had squirrels in the walls, but just couldn't pinpoint exactly where. Using the thermal camera to figure out their location, then I needed to figure out how they got into a wall in the center of the finished basement.

They got in through the huge gap around the AC lines coming in, then managed to get above the dropped sheetrock ceiling. Then found themselves an opening and fell right into this cavity. There were 3 of them stuck in there.

Mineral Rock Glass

Floor Wall Flooring Hardwood Room

Technology

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If they were eating holes in MY house there would be all-out warfare.

First, I would get one of these http://gamowhisper.com/ Second, I would build a special tree-rat feeder with a nice backstop or trap to catch the pellets. Third, I'd practice my breathing and trigger squeeze while sending them to wherever dead tree-rats go.

Last, but not least, I'd dig out grandma's recipe for squirrel stew and start searching the web for some others. They are quite tasty!

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
If they were eating holes in MY house there would be all-out warfare.

First, I would get one of these http://gamowhisper.com/ Second, I would build a special tree-rat feeder with a nice backstop or trap to catch the pellets. Third, I'd practice my breathing and trigger squeeze while sending them to wherever dead tree-rats go.

Last, but not least, I'd dig out grandma's recipe for squirrel stew and start searching the web for some others. They are quite tasty!

Depending upon what they were eating,I would agree. My wife declared them a non game species never to be brought into the house again, so these days, I don't know.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bd
gap around the AC lines coming in
Found similar situation here where the lines gointo and out of the house.

I like the thermal camera idea in that situaion.

How was that problem solved?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts