Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering,, is it possible to square up walls with a rotary laser? I think of a rotary laser more to find level and plumb.

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
You can however do it with the small auto lasers. I use mine to square up balloon framed gable walls all the time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I kind of had that suspicion and hadn't looked into it enough to find that out, thanks for doing my homework for me. For the price of that thing, if it was super useful it would be a no brainer to buy it, but it seems too cheap for it to actually be any good, so I have just had it sitting in my amazon wishlist for a month or so.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
That speed square laser is not accurate enough to square a large wall. The specs say plus or minus 1/2" in 30'
I have found my speed square laser(Bosch from Home Depot) to shoot the laser VERY square. I think the accuracy rating is more about the vials...so if your not using it to shoot something level or plumb, but rather just looking for square, its pretty darn good. I checked my with with the 6, 8, 10 and it came up on the money. I didn't bother checking it out further with 9,16,25

I use it to lay out coffer ceilings.

Although, if your wall is level, if you then put the rotatory laser on the side to shoot plumb, that would also square you up....

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I have found my speed square laser(Bosch from Home Depot) to shoot the laser VERY square. I think the accuracy rating is more about the vials...so if your not using it to shoot something level or plumb, but rather just looking for square, its pretty darn good. I checked my with with the 6, 8, 10 and it came up on the money. I didn't bother checking it out further with 9,16,25
I use it to lay out coffer ceilings.

Although, if your wall is level, if you then put the rotatory laser on the side to shoot plumb, that would also square you up....
:blink:

I'm sure you would figure out pretty quickly that your numbers are off, but just for the benefit of anyone else who may not realize....9/16/25 won't be square.

Unless *I* figured wrong...I could have.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I usually use my construction calculator to figure squares. Instead of variations of 3,4,5, I just measure out to the farthest point of each leg and use rise, run, diag.
I have done that as well, but sometimes I don't feel like getting the calc from the truck.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I usually use my construction calculator to figure squares. Instead of variations of 3,4,5, I just measure out to the farthest point of each leg and use rise, run, diag.
That's what I do

I have done that as well, but sometimes I don't feel like getting the calc from the truck.
That's why I have the app. I also have a calc in the truck and in the trailer

·
Registered
Remodel
28,687 Posts
I'll use multiples of these:

Sometimes the 3,4,5 isn't convenient.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the PLS 90 and agree it is the best.

I sent my original pls hand held in for service and they dont do that. But they offered me a new pls 180 for $180. I said deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts