Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have A Pole Barn That Is 4 Inches Out Of Square I Would Like To Know How To Put My Roof Trusses On So They Will Be Square So That When The Ply Wood Goes On I Don"t Have To Block It When It Does Not Fall On 4 Foot Centers.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
What's the dimensions and what way are the the trusses running and did you check the diagonals to see that it's 4" out of square?

Are the trusses 16" centers or 24" centers?

Joe Carola

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I would say just start from the center, - - make sure it's perpendicular to one wall, - - then just work from that truss out, in both directions, - - the only ones that will be off are the ends.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe Carola said:
What's the dimensions and what way are the the trusses running and did you check the diagonals to see that it's 4" out of square?

Are the trusses 16" centers or 24" centers?

Joe Carola
HI JOE THE BARN IS 32 BY 44 THE TRUSSES ARE ON 24'' CENTERS AND YES I DID THE DIAGONALS THANKYOU FOR YOUR TIME. TONY

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom R said:
I would say just start from the center, - - make sure it's perpendicular to one wall, - - then just work from that truss out, in both directions, - - the only ones that will be off are the ends.
THIS MIGHT WORK THANK YOU.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Tony.

I assume the trusses are running the 32' way. So mark your first and second 24" truss layout and then pull your tape at a diagonal to the other side until you you hit 32' 3/4" and that will be your mark that sets the trusse square from one end to the other.

Joe Carola

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
This is a funny post - like Tom said, you can't. You have to set the trusses square in order for them not to be out of square and avoid sistering for nailing the roof deck. The only thing to do is pick where you want to have the out of square trusses once you get to the end of the roof. You could start on one end and set them all square all the way to the other end and then deal with the two end trusses being out of square, or as Tom said, start in the middle and deal with them on both ends. Tom's way splits the out of 'squareness' in half. For example if the framing is out of square by 4 inches, starting in the middle means your last trusses on each side will be 2 inches out of square.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
tonymason said:
HOW WOULD I IF THE 6BY6 POLES ARE ALREADY SET?
As others have posted - the roof can be put in square but somewhere the 4" have to be accounted for.. like Tom and Mike have said - 2" on each end is most probable. I guess hindsight is 20/20 and it should've been put in square to begin with :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
How about padding the 2 oposing corners 2" each and make it square
If it is a poll barn pad the corners and then run your 2 x 4's and install siding.
:Thumbs:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hatchet said:
As others have posted - the roof can be put in square but somewhere the 4" have to be accounted for.. like Tom and Mike have said - 2" on each end is most probable. I guess hindsight is 20/20 and it should've been put in square to begin with :)
I HIRED A MENONITE TO SET THE POSTS I WAS TOLD HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING. THE 2X4'S ARE ALREADY ON AS ARE THE 2 2X10 TOP RAILS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Joe Carola said:
Tony.

I assume the trusses are running the 32' way. So mark your first and second 24" truss layout and then pull your tape at a diagonal to the other side until you you hit 32' 3/4" and that will be your mark that sets the trusse square from one end to the other.

Joe Carola
THANKS JOE THATS A SMART IDEA. TOO BAD YOU WERE NOT HERE TO HELP SET THESE TRUSSES! HA HA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hatchet said:
YA THINK!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Building Boathouses for years we run into this problem often we hook a strap from corner to corner pull untill square install your trusses and deck them. then remove strap The plywood will hold roof square

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank You To Every One For Your Ideas. The Weather Here Has Been Too Much Winter So As Soon As Weather Permits I Will Finish My Barn/shop I Am Sure I Will Be Back On Asking More Questions. Think I Will Go With Jo-jo On This One All The Best Tonymason

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Square Trusses

bayframer said:
Building Boathouses for years we run into this problem often we hook a strap from corner to corner pull untill square install your trusses and deck them. then remove strap The plywood will hold roof square
THIS IS ALSO A GOOD THOUGHT I WONDER IF A CHAIN COME-ALONG WOULD WORK? [SAY A 3 TON ONE]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Man, if you haven't started it's simple, we work on block worse than this everyday.
Set your birds mouth to the straightest side.
Lay out from both ends and leave your 4 inches in the middle. Am I really supposed to be telling these tricks???
Dont pad out anything. Just run it; your probaily not running soffit right?
Also, trim all your tails pulling off the birds mouth regaurd less of overhang.
The rope and come along are a good idea too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even if you are running soffit it wont matter. It'll look good.

Or, find out where your out(out of square), stiff leg your beam, pull the nails out of the beam and slip your gas powered trim saw behind it and cut a notch in the post. Get'er done!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts