Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, Happy New Year everyone!!!!
This may be an ignorant question but here it goes.....I need to lay out a housekeeping concrete pad in the middle of A large electrical room. The pad is going to be 8' wide x 14' long. I know the 3 4 5 rule, but my question is, where do I start? Basically, if I mark a point in the middle of the room with an "x" and measure 3' up and than 4' to one side both sides shall equal 5'.....now, how do I know if the 3' mark is out or the 4'????
Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
a 4" high concrete pad for electrical equipment to sit on, and keeps water on floor away from equipment.
Ahh. I've always just heard them called "raised concrete pads". Not sure why it's called housekeeping....

But thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Ahh. I've always just heard them called "raised concrete pads". Not sure why it's called housekeeping....

But thanks for clarifying.
I believe it's called "housekeeping" because it refers to when washing the floors or sweeping around the equipment... :whistling

·
Registered
198 Posts
another way to check a slabs square (instead of the 3,4,5 method) is by measuring the diagonals of the slab and if their the same the slabs square

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you to everyone for there input....sorry if you misunderstood the question. Basically, I know how to square a pad....I just need to know how to start at a starting point if there are no walls or anything else around me to start, therefore how would I start this whole thing off??????

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Pauly-o said:
Thank you to everyone for there input....sorry if you misunderstood the question. Basically, I know how to square a pad....I just need to know how to start at a starting point if there are no walls or anything else around me to start, therefore how would I start this whole thing off??????
Seems like you would square it with the nearest wall. Or the nearest equipment, if no wall is handy, or the nearest walkway, or square it with the direction it needs to face if nothing else makes sense.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I don't understand? You're no where near a wall to pull a parallel? Are in the middle of a desert?

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
You need to snap a line on the floor to represent one side to get started. You then need to determine where the center is so you can find the two corners of the first wall. Now you have a place to use your 3 4 5 to get started on your next side.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts